Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Twenty Tips for Writing Query Letters

A Tutorial on Query Letters
by Karna Converse

Try these tips, complements of three IWW nonfiction writers, when composing your next query letter. And then check out three letters that netted assignments.

First, some general suggestions:
  • Study the magazine you're querying by reading at least six recent issues.
  • Write in a style that reflects the magazine's style and shows off your writing abilities.
  • Be warm and casual, yet not too friendly or familiar.
  • Offer a working title and a word length.
  • Don't ask about pay. Ever.
  • Don't write about how much your mother/spouse/best friend loved this article, essay.
  • Don't write: "I've never been published, but..."
  • Don't write: "I've sent this to other magazines who've all rejected it."
  • Don't offer articles on speculation.
  • Proofread, proofread, proofread. And then, read it through one more time.
  • Keep trying, especially when you receive a note of encouragement from the editor. Timing (pitching the right idea at the right time) and developing a relationship with an editor are important too.
Now, some specific suggestions for formatting your query letter:

The Introductory Paragraphs
  • Spell the editor's name correctly. Check the masthead or call the magazine to learn the editor's name. If you cannot find out the correct name or are unsure who to send it to, try "Dear Acquisitions Editor."
  • Start with a hook such as a statistic, an amazing fact or a question. Maybe it's the opening paragraph of your proposed article.
  • Be confident. Use words like "I will," "I can" and " I propose."

The Middle Paragraphs
  • In two or three paragraphs, describe what the article is about, how you will approach the subject and what experts will you contact or any recent studies and new data you will explore.
  • Write succinctly and to-the-point. Give the editor enough information so he/she can understand the article's theme and focus, but don't get carried away with too many details.

The Ending Paragraphs
  • Sell yourself. Include your qualifications and why you're the right person to write the article.
  • Be short and sweet when listing your credits: "I've written for xxxx, xxxx and xxxx " or "My work has been published in xx, xx, and xxx."
  • End with "Thank you " and "I look forward to hearing from you."
  • Include one or two samples of published work and an SASE with your letter. If you're e-mailing the query letter, send your samples as pdf attachments or include links to online publications.

Three Letters that Netted Assignments

You'll notice some differences between these letters -- especially in length, organization and word choices. But I chose these letters on purpose, to emphasize how important it is to develop your own style and to write in a tone that's appropriate to the publication. I hope you'll also see why our "tips" are not necessarily "the rules."

Dear [Editor's name],

I received The West County Chronicle in yesterday's mail, and like the look and focus of it. I am a Realtor in Northern Virginia with The Bailey Team Real Estate, an independent brokerage in Chantilly, and also a freelance writer. I'd like to propose a monthly column for you on real estate topics. I can generate these topics, or am happy to work with you on topics you feel would interest your readers.

My work has appeared in numerous publications, including Newsweek, The Washington Post, Brevity, The Christian Science Monitor, Washington Flyer, and elsewhere. A few links are below as samples.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4872107/
http://www.fly2dc.com/articles/2001/2001_06_in2.asp
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/getasciiarchive?script/2001/12/06/p19s2.txt
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A25747-2002Mar27¬Found=true (note the online version cut off the last three paragraphs of the article)

I would be interested in learning your timelines and rate of pay. I look forward to hearing from you.
Peggy Duffy writes of the letter above, "I think two things weighed in my favor with the success of this query letter: knowledge of, and familiarity with, the publication and the authority to write on the subject I pitched."

RE: Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Ranch

Dear Mr. {Name of Editor}:

In 1986 the Boone and Crockett Club turned 100 years old, and, in recognition of that landmark event, club members purchased a 6,600-acre ranch west of Dupuyer, Montana. They named the place Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Ranch (TRM) in honor of Teddy Roosevelt who founded the club in 1887. Set against a spectacular backdrop that is the Rocky Mountains and the Bob Marshall Wilderness, the property has prime wildlife wintering grounds and continues to operate as working cattle ranch.

More recently, in 2001, the Boone and Crockett Club constructed the Elmer E. Rasmussen Wildlife Conservation Education Center on the property. Using the TRM Ranch as an outdoor classroom, the center's enthusiastic educators teach awareness, understanding and appreciation for our natural world. "The ranch has several purposes, including research and conservation on a working cattle ranch, and education programs for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade," says Lisa Flowers, educational director. "Our programs focus on range inventory, stream ecology, environmental history, and policy, as it is connected with land use and wildlife."

The Boone and Crockett Club's support of science, research, and conservation began with Roosevelt and other influential club members. We see their legacy in the establishment of game laws, the enforcement of hunting seasons and bag limits, the abolishment of market hunting, and our national forests, refuges and parks.

I'd like to write an article to your word about the TMR Ranch. I'll cover the cattle operation, conservation-friendly practices, the center's education programs, and touch on the club's intriguing history. My sources will include Flowers and John Rappold, ranch manager.

I¹m a freelance writer who lives in Central Montana's Judith Mountains. My work has appeared in Runner¹s World, Wild Blue Yonder, American Hunter, Western Horseman, Montana Magazine, Big Sky Journal, Persimmon Hill, Fur-Fish-Game, Antique Trader, Seattle Homes & Lifestyles, Successful Farming, and Sheep Magazine.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and welcome your call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Cathy Moser says about the letter above, "I've written several articles for Montana Magazine, and this letter netted me an assignment for a 2008 issue. I always indent the paragraphs and single space the text."

Sent via e-mail in response to an editor's letter of invitation.

Date

Dear {Name of Editor}:

Thank you for inviting me to participate in your new venture. The editorial plans for Our Iowa are intriguing.

Yes, I'd like to be considered for the Field Editor in Buena Vista County.

My writing career has included technical, personal profile, and public relations assignments, all of which required skills in researching and interviewing. Since 1995, when I chose to stay home full-time with our children, my writing has focused primarily on personal profiles and personal essays. (My essays have been published in half a dozen publications including Nebraska Magazine, Hearts at Home, two Cup of Comfort anthologies, two Chicken Soup anthologies, The Christian Science Monitor and on Iowa Public Radio.) My most recent freelance writing assignments were for Special Events Galore, a fundraising newsletter published by Stevenson, Inc. in Sioux City.

Though I'm not a lifelong Iowan, I have lived in Buena Vista County for a dozen years and am active in a variety of church, school and community activities. And, I'm not afraid to pick up the telephone to find answers to the questions you pose in your letter.

Here are a few ideas to consider for your premier edition:

* Why I moved back to Iowa -- "Lifestyle is the number one reason," says John and Karen Keenan. "In the Midwest, family is more important than the size of your house or the type of car you drive. That's the type of environment we wanted for our children."

The Keenans (and their two-and-a-half year old twins) moved back to their hometown in 2003, after five managerial moves with a national retail store that included 10 years in Richland, Washington.

"We talked about moving for over a year and decided to open a drive-thru coffeehouse somewhere in the Midwest," says Karen. "When we were home visiting family, we found an opportunity right here, in Storm Lake. John, his father and brother began construction in September, and we opened the doors in February 2004."

Grand Central Coffee Station (www.grandcentralcoffeesl.com) carries a full line of specialty coffee and tea products and offers more than 70 latte flavors. They also serve fresh Panini sandwiches, homemade soup, and 10 flavors of gelato and sorbetto.

Note: John and Karen's photo can be found at http://www.grandcentralcoffeesl.com/history.htm.

* Photos -- Hugh Perry is a Storm Lake lawyer and amateur nature photographer. He's had a lifelong interest in photography but only within the past five years--since the introduction of digital photography--has his work become widely known and respected in Buena Vista County. I've attached two examples of his work with this e-mail and have jpg files of an additional five of his personal favorites (a smiling frog in a pond, 11 sailboats docked Storm Lake's shore, Storm Lake's lighthouse, an Eastern screech owl and a red fox.)

The two attached photos: 1) Fishing on the Little Sioux River at the Linn Grove Dam. 2) Cows.

I have also attached two writing samples for your review, as I'd like to be considered for any "full-fledged feature" writing assignments.

Thank you for your consideration. I will be out of town July 4-12, but look forward to speaking with you when I return.

Karna Converse

Address/Phone/E-Mail Address
Attachments: Habitat for Humanity feature article, This I Believe essay, Hugh Perry photos
Karna Converse says of this letter, "I wrote this letter in response to an editor's invitation to join his team of volunteer field editors "who will forward story ideas about the people and events of your county" for a new publication. Because his letter also said he'd pay for "full-fledged features," I included writing samples with my application. The story I proposed in this letter will appear in the magazine's December/January (and second) issue, as will photos from the photographer I introduced. I think the letter was successful because it's written in a friendly manner, the layout is easy to follow, and because I included clips that were written in the same tone of voice this magazine is striving for."

2 comments:

Carter said...

This post is invaluable. When I wrote my first query letter some months ago, I asked for and got a lot of help from members of the IWW Writing list, and scored with the letter I finally wrote. Anybody trying for the first time to sell a piece needs that kind of help,and should benefit immensely from the great examples posted here. Thank you all!

Carter Jefferson, Editor
The Internet Review of Books
editor@internetreviewofbooks.com
http://internetreviewofbooks.com/

Fiction + Dreams = Join Me! said...

I thought this was a great post as well. The only thing I can disagree with is reading (and buying) six issues of every magazine you want to query. I don't find that to be realistic. If I spent the better part of my day reading up to six issues of the dozens of magazines I either want to write for, or do write for, I'd never have any time to actually write!

Other than that, it's a great post!