Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Process of Copy-Editing


Thoughts on the Process of Copy-Editing
by Gary Presley

I'm in process of reviewing a manuscript that has been vetted by a professional copy-editor, one in fact who worked as an intern at the university press that will publish my book.

Frankly, I never expected a copy-editor to change the style of syntax. Of course, proper grammar and syntax are a matter of intelligence and sophistication. And pride.

But if a copy-editor changes the style of syntax, the editor will be altering the voice of the writer.

Here is a specific example:
  • The editor struck the ... "reaches out from self-absorption" and "contriving a fantasy," which represent both the way I think and speak. Of course, neither represent straightforward descriptions, but they illustrate my mindset.
In fact, the editor sometimes substituted far more prosaic, even colloquial descriptions. My friends on the IWW's NFICTION list know I always point out just used as a modifier is useless, and so I found myself noting on the manuscript that "I do not like and attempt not to use the word just as a modifier. A silly quirk, I know, but it is not my voice."

I'm surprised. I didn't expect that sort of modification of style, simply because my writing voice might use tangential references and obscure descriptions.

I should have known better. I once had a magazine editor change a sentence incorporating a personal declaration -- a heartfelt personal opinion -- into a wimpy opinion. Without asking ...

At least this time, I have input.

1 comment:

Ruth L.~ said...

I'm with you on this, Gary. Your voice is as unique as the story you tell, and the two belong together. It must be frustrating, but for the greater good-- publication-- you move past it . . . grumbling.