Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Members' Writing Success~


Barry Basden~
My poem, "The Rabbit Ran for a Quarter Mile," appears in Willows Wept Review, Issue 10. 
-----

Karna Converse~
An essay I wrote with my daughter--"Doin' the Macarena with My Dad"--appears in the Feb/March issue of Our Iowa. NFiction critters may remember it from two years back. We originally wrote it for a Father's Day card and last year, it was in the running for a Chicken SoupOur Iowa publication because they don't usually print essays. You can read it here,  and if you have Google Docs, there's also a link to a pdf of the two-page spread. book but didn't make the final cut. I'm excited about the
-----

Dawn Goldsmith~
A submission that I sent in 2009 and totally forgot about has now been accepted at The Writer! I think maybe these are the most fun sales -- the ones you don't expect.
-----

Ann Hite~
I was contacted by someone who works for The Boston Globe. They are interested in reviewing Ghost On Black Mountain. Also, The Swan Coach House Gallery here in Atlanta will be the first reading I do right after the book is released. Not sure of the dates yet--sometime in mid-Sept. I will sign books at Hattie’s Books in Brunswick, Georgia, on October 7th. My book is now available on Amazon and Borders for pre-orders. And I’m listed as an official author for Simon & Schuster on their website. My head is spinning. Simon & Schuster will assign me a publicist in March and then the fun really begins or so I’m told. In between I’m working on the next novel.  
-----

M. Elaine Moore~
My poem, "Imaginary Friend," appears in the February edition of Foliate Oak Literary Journal, and can hopefully be found here. If not, I’ve screwed it up again! 
-----

Roger Poppen~
My story,  “Appreciating Springtime,” was awarded third place and $25 in the 2010 National Adult Short Story Contest by the Poetry Inst. of Canada. This is better than the $15 in Monopoly money I won for second prize in a beauty contest last week. 
-----

Gary Presley~
I owe thanks to the stalwart members of the IWW nonfiction group for helping in prepping this piece to the point that it could be published: "The Uniform."
-----

Adrienne Ross Scanlan~
"Feeding Time," an essay about behind-the-scenes life and death at a zoo, appears in Pilgrimage
(winter 2010 / 2011). Not a paying market, and so far only a print issue, but Pilgrimage is professionally run, a pleasure to work with, and chooses very interesting themes and pieces to match.

-----

Wayne Scheer~
My short story, "Family Man," has been accepted for publication at Fiction 365 and netted me a cool $10. Even when they reject a story--as they did with another story previous to this acceptance--they offer a reason. I respect that. fiction365.com  Cynic Magazine has accepted my flash, "Mysterious Ways." Thanks.

"Man's Work," a comic flash, has been accepted by Long Story Short for their March issue. 
-----

Pat St. Pierre~
This is the link for Touch, Journal of Healing for my photo in the January issue.
----- 

Mona Vanek~
Well, for me this is a success story. Registering Behind These Mountains (began as blog) as a domain took less than ten minutes, and it converted automatically within seconds! I was also able to change the blog name to what I originally wanted. Delighted doesn't describe my feeling of euphoria, because the last time I registered a domain my site was down for days, and gave me nightmares until I finally got it resolved. Thus my Yahoo, Behind These Mountains, is now a registered domain website. Now I'll start uploading the two dozen or so (of 188) photographs I have ready to publish in Behind These Mountains, Volume 1.
-----

Ben Winship~
The MacGuffin has decided to accept my story "Becoming Human" for publication.  This is so cool not only because I've gotten so many rejections in the past couple months but also because I really believe this story is important for people to read to raise awareness about child trafficking issues!
-----

No comments: