Monday, February 20, 2017

IWW Members' Publishing Successes



Gary Presley

I once wrote an essay that appeared in the NYTIMES's "Modern Love," which was later chosen to be read by the actor Colin Farrell on Boston's NPR station, WBUR. Today I've learned it's one of three Modern Love essays to be distributed to public radio stations across the nation in honor of St. Valentine's Day.

Pardon my pride and accept my recognition that yahooing three times about one essay seems a bit, ah, too much, but if you haven't heard it and want to hear it, it can be found here.

Jeannette de Beauvoir

I’m psyched to share the release of my coming-of-age novel, Our Lady of the Dunes, published by Homeport Press. We’re having a launch party this Saturday in Provincetown, Massachusetts, if anyone could care to come.

I began this novel on a writing residency that I recommend to everyone on the list. I spent two weeks in a dune shack, no electricity, no running water, just me and the sea and the manual typewriter.

It was an amazing experience and I hope that it’s an amazing book that came out of it.

Bill Brier

Black Opal Books will publish my three mystery novels this year. The stories took eight years to complete, and I couldn’t have written them without the help and support of many of you in Novels-L.

Write me and I’ll send you an attached Advanced Reader Copy of The Devil Orders Takeout for free.

Mark Kilfoil

Incremental Love, under my pen name PB Cruz is available as an eBook from Amazon. A while back I subbed it on Romance Writing as Incremental.

Thanks to all who sent me crits, they helped a great deal to improve the story.

Mel Jacob

I've reviewed books every month for both SFRevu and Gumshoe Review, but keep forgetting to post.

For February at SFRevu:

Miranda and Caliban by Jacqueline Carey:

Noted author Jacqueline Carey offers a lyrical retelling of Shakespeare's The Tempest that humanizes Caliban, but doesn't change his sad fate.

Penric and the Shaman by Lois McMaster Bujold:

A ghostly tale in which Penric of Martensbridge, a sorcerer with the rank of a learned divine, and his demon Desdemona aid in the capture and recovery of a fugitive shaman.

The Weaver by Emmi Itäranta:

A bleak dystopian tragedy. Some readers will find the story dark, obscure, and slow-moving as the author's lyrical prose meanders through a tale as complex as any web woven by the weavers on an island threaten by the encroaching sea where dreamers are imprisoned or killed.

The Wishing World by Todd Fahnestock:

A story for middle school readers. Who has not dreamed of a world where dreams come true and good overcomes evil? The heroine wants her missing family returned.

At Gumshoe Review:

The Ghosts of Misty Hollow (Ghost of Granny Apples) by Sue Ann Jaffarian:

Ghosts abound in Misty Hollow, but they appear hesitant and shy, yet haunt Emma Whitehouse. Something happened in the past that will not let the ghosts rest so they rely on psychic Emma and the ghost of her great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Granny Apples.


No comments: