Monday, December 2, 2019

IWW Members' Publishing Successes



Joanna M. Weston

My poem, 'The Referee', (about my granddaughter) is up at Pangolin Review. Scroll down the list of poets, alphabetical by first name, but click on the PDF file below my name.

Charles P. Hobbs

1. I was part of a panel discussion hosted at the Museum of African American Art in Los Angeles. The topic was “How Jitneys Drive Their Communities.” I was selected to be on the panel because my book, Hidden History of Transportation in Los Angeles, has a chapter on jitneys in it.

2. I am nearly finished with my article on the history of public transportation in Santa Barbara, California. It will be submitted to the publisher (Motor Coach Age) on Dec 5, and is scheduled to be published in January 2020.

3, (Somewhat related) On my ham radio “net” (a group of radio amateurs that take turns talking), I was asked to describe the future of public libraries. (The “net control operator” is a voracious reader, and liked to talk about the books she has been reading).

Over the air, I gave a short, three-minute speech about how public libraries, even in the face of electronic books and the Internet, will always be an important community service.


No comments: