Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Writing Is Painful

Emotionally ...

... and physically if you cling to the keyboard so much that you develop repetitive stress injuries. Oh, my. Those fingers and wrists and hands can hurt.

A member of the IWW posted a lament on the WRITING discussion group forum recently. My advice ...

  • Posture
  • Comfortable chair and desk
  • Monitor mounted in good position
  • Get rid of bifocals and use a pair of "computer-only" glasses
  • Type 50 minutes
  • Get up and move for 10 minutes
  • Gel pads for keyboard and mouse
  • Make certain position of arms in using mouse/keyboard isn't pinching
  • off circulation or nerve path to hands
  • Rubber squeeze ball near computer
Does it work? I'm not sure. I know I followed most of that advice, but I continued to have a subtle soreness in my wrists. The promise of more pain didn't recede until I put away the desktop and began to use a laptop -- literally, a laptop on my lap.

Another member of the IWW said " ... the writer John August recommends a keyboard on his site."

I did a quick search to find an odd-appearing, interesting device that resembles an accordion more than a keyboard.

I think I'll stick to laptops.


More on repetitive stress injury here and here

No comments: