Monday, September 10, 2007

IWW Members in Print and Published

Every week I'm delighted to see that our members are out there writing--
and their work is being accepted! Here's this week's list of triumphs:


Karna Converse


Thanks to Julie McGuire for including me in her flashquake yahoo.

My piece, "A Second Helping of Funeral Sandwiches," is a reprint.
Non-Fiction critters may remember it from two years ago; it aired on Iowa
Public Radio and was printed in my mom's community newspaper. This
summer, I noticed that flashquake publishes reprints and that they will
send writers the reviewers' comments (if the writer desires). I was
particularly interested in receiving comments, whether or not flashquake
chose to publish my piece. Each of the six editors made a one line
comment--and the comments made my day as much as the fact that it
was chosen for publication! The comment I most appreciated? "Every
time you think human nature has degraded, you find a story like this."

BTW: Since we often have discussions here about titles, I thought I'd
share this: Two of the editors commented about my title. They liked it, but
didn't believe it was right for this piece. But, the publisher didn't change it
for publication . . . .

Also, my devotion/essay, "Common and Ordinary," has been published in
the newest issue of The Lutheran Journal. NFiction critters may
remember it from last spring.

The Journal (print only) is "a four color, 24-page magazine, distributed to
Lutheran Churches across America and is published several times a year.
The Journal is definitely Lutheran in flavor, yet non-doctrinaire, maintaining
an inspirational and uplifting spirit to our readers in the several Lutheran
synods." They publish articles that are "historical, personal experience,
profiles, faith and values, humor, and some poetry (as space allows)."

They pay on publication, generally at about 3 cents per word, for one-time
rights only. Poems and bit pieces generally pay between $5 and $30, again
for one- time publication rights. Feature length articles should run
between 400 and 1700 words."

I'm a little disappointed: The editor did not send a letter of acceptance and
I had no idea they decided to print it. I learned of it from a friend who
received her copy (mine is "in the mail"); her article is printed on the page
before mine! I'm just glad my piece was rejected by the other publications
I had sent it to.


Ruth Douillette

One of the first pieces I ever submitted to the nonfiction list a couple of
years ago will be published in the Christian Science Monitor's "Home
forum" section. I submitted it two years ago too late for the season. The
editor, Judy Lowe, told me to resub next fall ('06). I did, but never heard a
thing. This summer I submitted another piece that she didn't take, but she
asked me to resend the carrot bread essay in September. So I did. Third
time never fails. Thank you to the Non-Fiction folk who helped me along
as a rank newbie by telling me to cut, cut, cut--among other good pieces
of advice.


Paul Fein

Paul Fein's third book, Tennis Confidential II: More Greatest Players,
Matches, and Controversies, will be published by Potomac Books, Inc.
(formerly Brassey's, Inc.) in March 2008. Paul's first book, Tennis
Confidential: Greatest Players, Matches, and Controversies, was published
by Brassey's, Inc. in 2002 and was listed No. 1 among tennis books by
Amazon.com and BN.com. Nine of the pieces in it received writing
awards. Paul's second book, You Can Quote Me on That: Greatest Tennis
Quips, Insights, and Zingers, was published by Potomac Books, Inc. in
2005 and was listed No. 1 among tennis books by BN.com.


Alice Folkart

One of my poems, "Ungraspable," was invited for publication in the poetry
and photography journal Here and Now. To read my poem, scroll all the
way to the end of this week's edition, but don't miss the excellent work by
others, especially Julia Alvarez, Sandy Steinman, Gwendolyn Brooks,
Deborah Garrison and Muneer Niazi among others. And, then there's the
photography. . . . Enjoy.



Kathy Highcove

Hello, Critters! This month I have another article in the North Valley
Community News
, a local publication. The article tells the story of New
Horizons, a facility that trains higher-functioning retarded and autistic
adults to work several types of jobs in the community: baggers for
grocery stores, stock room workers, restaurant work, etc.


Louisa Howerow

In August one of my short prose pieces, "Listen", appeared on the
Birmingham Arts Journal website. Last week, I received two copies of the
journal (volume 4, issue 2). It's 8 x 5 inches, glossy paper, under fifty
pages, stapled, with great black and white photos, short stories, creative
non-fiction (think Christian Science Monitor), poetry, a play, and quotes
such as "I notice that in spite of the frightful lies you have printed about
me, I still believe everything you say about other people."-- Robert
Maynard Hutchins.

Many of the authors are regional, but there are others, including a few
from outside the USA. The journal, which sells for $5 in the Birmingham
area, is the creation of the Birmingham Art Association.

Please refer to the submission guidelines on the site and read an issue to
get an idea of the type of work they accept. PDF versions of their issues
are available on the site. Nice, little publication that I think would work for
many of the writers here.


Carey Link

My poem "Elements of Prayer" has been accepted for a hardcover book
titled: Ceremony Collected Part 2. The editor, Malanie Monterey,
manages the magazine Ceremony: A Journal of Poetry and Other Arts.
The book will be released in early to mid-2008. E-mail submissions pasted
into the message are accepted at danceofmyhands@aol.com The website is
here. I found this market in Poet's Market.


Wayne Scheer

Just wanted to let you know that two of my flashes are up at Shine...The
Journal
. I hope you enjoy them.


Mona Vanek

The Palouse Journal, a small weekly in Spokane county, WA, allotted
twenty-two column inches to a press release I wrote announcing the
upcoming Idaho Writer's League annual writers conference, September
28-29th, in Coeur d'Alene, ID. The publisher didn't change or omit one
word, so I was able to promote all the speakers, including their credentials
and listing their workshops. This yahoo feels especially good because
I've written so little since moving from Montana nearly two years ago.
It heralds a return to my beloved "world of writing."

I also had to have a "book" because I'm included in an author's signing
event at a Hastings Book Store at the end of this month.

By converting to print media the ten-week writing resources course I've
been e-mailing to students around the world for several years, with some
revision and re-organizing of the material, I've self-published a book and
created a CD. I titled my fully indexed, 111-page book & the CD I also
burned it on, Access The World & Write "Your Way" To $$$, The
Ultimate Internet Directory (With Professional advice) For Writers. (c)
2007 Mona Leeson Vanek.

To label the CDs, I had to first buy and master labeling software, and then
design my label. So I'm yahooing that success, too, because it involved
writing, photography and (imported) graphics.


Joanna Weston

Hammered Out has five of my poems (four of them critted on Poetry-W)
up as their 'feature of the week.' Hammered Out is published in Hamilton,
Ontario, and accepts work for its blog on an ongoing basis--not doing a
print version anymore so far as I know. The writer must have some
connection to Hamilton in order to be published--mine is that I
worked there forty years ago and still have memories of totally delicious
cheeseburgers and chocolate milkshakes in Westdale, near McMaster
University!

Submissions continue to be accepted for the blog on an ongoing basis.
Please include author/artist photo as well as brief bio and three to five
samples of your work and send poetry/prose as "word" attachments
and/or in the body of the e-mail to hammeredout@cogeco.ca. Please
note: Submission does not guarantee posting.

_______________________________________________________________

No comments: