Monday, September 24, 2007

IWW Members in Print and Published

Once again, a fine harvest of publications--along with an acting gig--for
our members!


Rebecca Coleman

I'm very happy to announce that my publisher, Medallion Press,
has accepted my novel, Desperado City, for publication.

Desperado City was critiqued, from start to finish, on the Novels-L
list in 2005 and 2006. It will be available in bookstores August of
2009.

Although this is the second novel I've sold, this is at least as big a
deal to me as the first one. My first novel is a fun, entertaining
chick lit story published under my mother's last name, Anderson.
Desperado City, however, is literary fiction (or "mainstream fiction
with a mystery hook," depending on how you pitch it) and will be
published under my real name. It's the first novel in what I hope
will be a long career of writing lit-fic. I had no reason to believe my
publisher would accept this title just because they bought my first
one, being as how it's in a completely different genre. Selling it is a
major victory for me, to put it politely.

It's also a real credit to the members and admin of Novels-L.
Dozens of people participated in critiques of its chapters. I listened
to what each person said and made major, major changes based on
those comments and criticisms. I'm deeply grateful to people like
Sanchona who pointed out my flaws of POV, Roger Poppen who
encouraged me to give the novel an actual cogent plot, Meg Westley
who was a cheerleader for the story's merit, and the many, many
others who made observations, even if only once, that affected a
single sentence or the whole revision. Thanks to all of you.

Keep writing, guys. Be determined.


Kristen Howe

Yahoo! Blazevox has accepted my second poem "Fennel" as my
second submission. It'll be up in the fall issue along with "English Daisy"
and "Night-time Blaze" for the fall September issue. "English
Daisy" and "Night-time Blaze" was my first submission to Blazevox
and was supposed to be up for the spring issue; but due to the
misplacement of the poems, it'll be in the fall issue, which will be up
at the end of this month real soon. There's no pay but it'll be
online.


Mel Jacob

Two more reviews accepted: "Lord of the Fading Lands" (fantasy)
and "The Musketeer's Seamstress" (mystery).

Reviewing is a good way to learn what publishers have bought
recently and who the new publishers are. Both e-mags and print
magazines are always looking for reviewers. A few folks have made
a career for themselves as reviewers.


Ellen Kombiyil

Hi all,

I'm pleased to once again grace the pages of one of my favorite
poetry journals, The 2River View. Two poems are published in this
issue, "Excerpt from Vincent Van Gogh's Journal" and
"Persephone's Letter to Demeter." Both poems were critiqued
here on Poetry and I thank all of you who helped me shape these
poems into their final forms.

One of the things I like best about this journal is that an audio file
accompanies the work, so you can hear the poets reading their own
poems. Here's the link if you'd like to look and/or listen.

2river is a quarterly journal that publishes only poetry. They also
feature regular podcasts of readings, interviews with prominent
poets, and poetry-related news of interest. For more information on
this market, including guidelines or information on their poetry
chapbook series, click here.


Shayla Mollohan

The Fall 2007 issue of ken*again is literally brimming with the
work of Poetry-W members! I'm delighted to appear with Carey
Link and Joanna Weston and will let them provide their own
details. The titles of mine are:

For Our Last Afternoon Tea in Coupleland
Recovery, Weekends at Home
Daughters I: The State Place
Illusion ­A Cinquain
cat seasons...

The latter is a collaborative rengay with poets Barbara Taylor and
Moira Richards, with whom I published two other pieces. I think a
few of the other poems had been workshopped here, sometime
during the past ten years. :) You can read these here.

And, if you're at all interested, as I really don't know how regional
anthologies fare out there in the world. . . .

I thought I'd share a review with you for the anthology Whoever
Remembers Us, Alabama Poetry. It's the only on-line review I've
read but I'm glad Penne J. Laubenthal liked it. (Here you can get a peek
at the gorgeous cover!)

And there was an article about it in a local newspaper of one of the
editors, John Chambers.

There's a lot of readings planned. If anyone is in this region, the
first is Oct 7th (2 p.m.) at:

Jonathan Benton Bookseller
2705 Culver Rd.
Mountain Brook, AL 35223
205-870-8840

Thanks to you, for reading this long-winded yahoo, for everything.


Ally Peltier

Almost a year ago, I wrote a post to this list about the kinds of
credentials different types of writers might need or want to have. At the
encouragement of some of you critters, I turned it into an article idea:
"Platform or Plank: What Are You Standing On?" Well, I recently pitched
and sold that idea to Writer's Digest magazine as a 1,000 word piece for
their Writers Workbook section on marketing. It will appear in the
April 2008 issue.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas, encouragement, and the sharing
of knowledge.

P.S. Look for the draft on the nonfiction list :)


Pearl Pirie

I'd like to point people to the Womb, equinox issue. The annual
e-zine went live today (Happy equinox!). A few of my poems are
there along with some kick@ss other poetry.

I have a train poem in The Times Online.


Anita Saran

I acted yesterday in a 40-minute feature film based on on of my
short stories. The producer and director is a young photographer I
met online. This was a most unexpected venture and we shot the
whole film in one day.

The story (part of my book), is called The Taming of the Tomcat
and is about my experiences when I lived alone in an isolated area.
In the story, the wild and independent tomcat in me was tamed
when some drunk climbed up to my window one night, after which
I decided to move in with a boyfriend. In the film version, the
ending is different as well as the setting, but it is still an isolated
place - a farmhouse out of town. In the end I decide to stay on at
the farm although it is full of painful memories of my past.

The film is an entry for The Mumbai International Film Festival
and will be sent to other contests as well. It was my first time as a
movie actress and my first very own film script is actually seeing
the light of day. Hopefully the producer will go by the title I
suggested - Solitaire.

Yahoo!

-------------------------

No comments: