Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"There is no paradox. There is only irony."


When I was writing Rebody, (an SF-satire) I wanted to describe the most stupid automotive concept imaginable. What would happen in the future? With climate change etc. I thought that super-tornadoes would be likely, and with increased violence and mostly unbreathable air.

So I designed the most ridiculous SUV, more or less the size and weight of a M1A1 battle tank, with explosive ground-anchors, personal air tanks, anti-personnel weapons and so forth.

The hero comes across one such of these vehicles, rotting away in a showroom.

The finishing touch required a name that would be both butch, but incredibly naff, and totally George.

So I decided it would be the Ford Patriot. Naturally I checked and no such name existed, which didn't surprise me; after all what car company in its right mind would choose a name like that?

Yesterday, to my horror, I found myself driving along behind some naff-looking SUV and saw that it was a Jeep Patriot.


Why die when you can Rebody?

No comments: