Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thoughts on Entering Writing Contests

An Essay
by Peggy Duffy

I think deciding whether to enter writing contests is a personal decision. For me, I look at a couple of things. One is publication of the winning work. Another is prize money vs. entry fee. A $5 entry fee for a $25 'prize' is not the same as a $1000 prize for a $15 or $20 entry fee. You research by looking at the quality of the sponsoring publication online. Do you like what you read there? Is it quality work? Is it a place you would feel proud to have your work appear? Same things you'd ask yourself before submitting any work.

A few more research questions:
  • How long has the publication been around?
  • How long has the contest been held?
  • Is the work of the winning entry prominently displayed/published on the site?
  • Are the winners announced in publications such as Poets & Writers?

I once asked an editor for a lit mag who was a panelist at a conference the difference between regular publication and contest winning publication. He said his publication did promote heavily their contest winners. So that is something else to look at -- how heavily are the winners promoted?

For me, I might and have paid entry fees (around $20-$25) for story collections where the prize is publication of an entire collection of stories.

Poets pay for similar type contests where the prize is book publication and some money. It's the only way to get some of these types of works published.

I used to set a budget for myself, $100 a year, for contest entries. I think if they are reputable places winning or placing can look good in your cover letter. I once placed in So To Speak's story contest, 1st runner up. No money but publication.

I will also enter contests if I like the publication, want to support it, and get a free issue or a subscription to the publication as part of the entry fee. It's a way of supporting the publication.

Overall, I enter few contests these days. I had a writing teacher say once, never pay to have your worked published -- i.e., entry fees.


Poets & Writers Magazine announces state and national prizes in poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Because of space limitations, we list only prizes of $1,000 or more, prizes of $500 or more that charge no entry fee, and prestigious nonmonetary awards.
The current list ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just read your post on. Since you were talking about writing contests, I thought I would drop you a line.

Starting today, Advice Network, will be running an advice article writing contest, and we’d like to offer you and your readers an invitation-only chance to enter. If you could post about the contest, I’d really appreciate it. Let me know and I will link back to your from my blog (www.advicenetowork.com/blog ) right away.

We are looking for professionals and enthusiasts to write advice articles for the average person in three main categories, real estate, weddings, and running a business.

The winner of the best advice article will receive a new MacBook laptop. And just for entering, they’ll receive a 4-month vendor listing on AdviceNetwork.com, absolutely free.

There is no fee to enter the contest, and we don’t require anyone to purchase a vendor listing.

To enter the contest, go here:
http://www.advicenetwork.com/contest

If you want to learn more about Advice Network, go here: http://www.advicenetwork.com/blog/?p=3

Thanks again. We are excited to hear from you and your blog readers.

Regards,
Alex Schoenfeldt
Advice Network
(888) 316-5259
http://www.advicenetwork.com