Monday, May 26, 2008

IWW Members in Print and Published

Another week of success at the IWW! Do we ever miss a week? Not since I've been collecting these things.


Barry Basden

Bird and Moon has published “The Writer,” another 55er.

Another venue to try. I went back through their archives and didn't see any IWW names I recognized. Give it a shot.

Thanks to all who helped with mine.


Alice Folkart

My story The Same River (which started on Practice nearly a year ago--thank you, critters--and my poem I Don't Think We're Going to Chinatown, were invited to be published in this week's edition of 7Beats - Here and Now.

The story is situated after the 13th set of images and the poem after the 16th. There doesn't seem to be any other way to navigate the site than by counting images.

Thanks all.


Ann Hite

My review of Mermaids in the Basement has been published at Feminist Review. Enjoy

My tenth and eleventh stories have been published at Dead Mule.

And my 12th story, "Cotton Candy Fluff," prompts me to say thanks to all of those who helped edit this a few years back. Especially one wonderful writer who has left this world. He helped by encouraging me to be honest with this character. It was while I was in search of this honesty I began to discover my voice.


Rebecca Kellogg

Today I received word that my short article "How to Build a Coupon Binder in 10 Easy Steps" has been accepted for publication in the Dollar Stretcher's print version. I learned about this market through the Funds For Writers Small Markets e-newsletter. I have adopted Wayne's method of having a lot of queries and essays out at the same time and so far it seems to be paying off. So thanks for the method, Wayne, and thanks for the market, C. Hope Clark.


Paul Pekin

I just found out my short story "Letter From a Non-Trad," published in Karamu, spring 2007, has won a literary award from the Illinois Arts Council. You can't read the story on line, but this link will take you to the Illinois Arts Council, where you can find my name third on the list of winners. The prize was not too shabby, and you can see why it sometimes pays to send your work to "non-paying" literary magazines.

Thanks to all on this list who critted the story under its original title, "Letter to the King." A couple of you hated that title, so . . . I thought it over and came up with a better one. Alas, thanks to a computer crash last year, I no longer possess your crits or names, but you probably know who you are.


Jayne Pupek

There are days when I still don't believe I have a novel coming out this fall. Then something happens to remind me that I'm not entirely delusional. LOL!

Publishers Weekly has reviewed my novel Tomato Girl.

And I received some very exciting news from my publisher yesterday. Audio rights for Tomato Girl have been sold to Recorded Books. Being the complete novice that I am, I didn't understand why that was important until my agent explained how few books by new novelists are chosen for audiobooks. So now I'm excited!


Wayne Scheer

My favorite named publication, Shakespeare's Monkey Review, accepted my story "Life-Support" for their August issue. SMR is a print publication and pays a whopping $10 per story. I've published there before. The editors are a pleasure to work with and pay when they say they will. What more could you ask for?

Also, my story "Parking Lot," which began as a recent Practice exercise, is up at Shine Journal. No money, but the editor's enthusiasm makes up for it. (No it doesn't, but it's the kind of thing you're supposed to say.) If you write flash fiction, this is a good market.

Thanks!


Peggy Vincent

My essay "Morning Coffee" appeared in today's magazine of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But here's the coolest part: it started as a 300-word exercise on the Practice list. Then I expanded it to about 550 for a Nonfiction submission. Then, wanting to place it in this weekly essay spot in the Chronicle, I expanded it ever so carefully (didn't want it to read like padding) to its final approx 850.

I know others share my delight with how many essays have had their genesis
on the Practice List. Thanks to all who help with stellar crits.


Joanna Weston

a tanka in Lynx - and many thanks to Harriot for letting me know!
http://www.ahapoetry.com/ahalynx/232%20solo.html

Cheers: my review of Ryan Fitzpatrick's poetry book 'Fake math' is up at Danforth Review http://www.danforthreview.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: