Monday, January 12, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

The new year is well underway, and members of the IWW are going full steam!

Carter


Barry Basden

My 55er on illicit love, "Orange County," is up and already archived at Drunk and Lonely Men.


Karna Converse

I have 15 short devotions in the Jan/Feb/March issue of Christ In Our Home. This is a national publication from Augsburg Fortress (publishing arm of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) and an assignment I received last spring. I'm excited to re-read the devotions and to see that the editors made very few changes to my submissions, but this yahoo is more about the responses I've received:

A gentleman from Colorado called our church office (in Iowa) to comment; a gentleman from Canada called me directly to comment; a friend from one of our former congregations emailed me; members of our current congregation are receiving calls from their out-of-town friends. And when I asked my pastor if she thought the messages were "on target," she gave me a huge smile.

I share this as a reminder to take a minute when we read something that strikes a chord and tell the writer about it. It's a great feeling.

Here's a link to Augsburg Fortress' submission guidelines (for books, magazines, devotions, music) are here.


Ritz Imuta

Long ago, with help from this list, I wrote a piece that was retained by a national monthly magazine. After about a year of communications, the editors returned it for reasons I won't go into, but they were gracious and wonderful to work with throughout.

I shelved the piece.

A few months ago, I reworked (& retitled) it for another market. All things going well, "Poor Thing" will be included in a Cup of Comfort for Parents of Children with Special Needs (Phew!), an anthology scheduled to be published in May 2009. Pays much, much less but is a very good fit.

Thanks to all who ever critted, supported, or blasted my writing in NFict, Fiction, Novels, and YA. You know who you are!

And for those of you new to IWW, stick around. This list really *rocks*!


Frances Mackay

Congratulations all for your Yahoos. I have one too.One of my earlier poems, "The Conspiracy," has been published in the Victorian publication of Rural Women's Network Newsletter, December issue. I also was awarded 2 DPAs at breakfast readings just before Christmas.

My New Year's resolution (one of them) is to be more positive about submissions. Best of writing to you all in 2009.


Sheri McGregor

I have several yahoos to share.

One is the sale of an academic paper I wrote during my undergraduate studies. It was for a literature class, which I took as one of my upper division electives during my program to get my BA in psychology (graduated 2007 magna cum laude with honors! Yeah!--now working on an MA in human behavior). Anyway, I mention this because I used every class, no matter what the subject, to strengthen my studies of psychology...which you will see in
this piece.

A few months ago, The Raven Chronicles published a personal essay that has been re-sold 5 or 6 times now (this is the first time I gave it for free). It's at:

Also, the 2d edition of one of my hiking guides, 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: San Diego, was just released.

And finally, I signed a new book contract a week ago. Barnes & Noble has cut a deal with my hiking guide publisher to do a smaller book, tentatively titled Easy Hikes Close to Home: San Diego. B&N will promote this as a featured item at check-out, and my publisher plans to expand this impulse-buy book to other stores as well.

Thanks for helping me celebrate!


Gary Presley

That new publication "looking for microthings that move us to joy or sadness or anger or any other real emotion that illuminates the human condition" -- the Camroc Press Review -- published a condensed scene from my memoir. You can find it titled "The Part that Kept Me from Screaming."

If you read it, you can send me an email, and I'll apologize for having been a jerk.


Wayne Scheer

My flash "It's Not So Funny"--my wife's favorite story--is up (so to speak) at Barry Basden's Camroc Press blog. Proudly, I join Barry, Sue Ellis of Pushcart Prize fame, and Carter Jefferson.

Cynic Magazine has selected my story, "A Fallen Comrade," as one of their Best of 2008. The story is reprinted in their present issue. "Comrade" was critiqued at both Fiction and Practice.

Finally, an old story critiqued years ago at Fiction, "And Now for Something
Completely Different," the tender romance between a stalker and his prey, is up at Big Pulp. Big Pulp looks for genre fiction--such as Science Fiction, Horror, Romance, Humor--and seems to prefer that the authors not take themselves and their characters too seriously. In addition, they pay a big penny a word.


Harriette Spanabel

A six-word story I wrote on love was chosen as one of the stories for the book Six Word Memoir on Love & Heartbreak, which is published and now on sale at Amazon as well as other book stores. My copy is on the way to me. There were many, many entries into this contest and 500 were picked for the book. Published by Smith Magazine.


Joanna Weston

I got home to find a few belated Christmas presents in my email! My review of Taylor Leedahl's poetry is up at PoetryReviews.ca

Two poems in Tower Poetry's Winter edition (print), both critted by the Poetry List, bless the poets.

Two poems, "Finality" and "Power-cut," up at Inscribed. Scroll down a little and and click on the picture of Vol. 4, Issue 1.

And my poem "The Cadence of Earth" has been selected as "one of the best poems of 2008" by The Cynic Online Magazine. (Scroll way down.)

Happy New Year everyone:-)

No comments: