Monday, March 2, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Another good week! Our members keep rolling along, publishing everywhere.

Carter



Mira Desai

My sub "Change" is up and running on Six Sentences. Not without Alice and all the help on Practice.


Dawn Goldsmith

I received copies of New Mobility Magazine with my article "Not Work Product" in the My Spin section. A paying market. The article started as a blog on my wordsogold blogsite.


Deanna Hershiser

My flash fiction piece "Emily's Last Day" is up at Camroc Press Review (Feb. 26). This began as a short essay on the non-fiction list. With a little coaching I turned it into a micro story (an educational process, since I don't often try fiction).

I enjoyed working with CPR. Wonderful publication.


Mel Jacob

Four reviews up this month in SFRevu:

The Black Ship by Diana Francis (fantasy), Swan Maiden by Jules Watson (retelling of the Irish myth of Deidre of the Sorrows), Temporal Void by Peter Hamilton (sprawling mega science fiction in the far future), Warded Man by Peter Brett (fantasy with demons).


Heidi Kenyon

I just met with a small press publisher about my memoir. He wants me to shift the focus a bit--it will be more food writing and less memoir--and asked me to write up a new proposal and send it to him. And he bought me lunch, saying, "The author never pays." Sounds promising! Thanks for allowing me a forum in which to be excited!


Tom Mahony

A few recent (or at least sort of recent) short story publications I thought I'd share:

"Smitty's Dad," in Foliate Oak

"The Bowl," in Boston Literary Magazine.

"Scrape," in Decomp Magazine.

"The Procedure," in Decomp Magazine.


Ally Peltier

I'm so excited to announce that my article, "How to Select the Right Freelance Editor," appears in the current (April) issue of The Writer, available now. I received a lot of wonderful feedback on the NFICTION list that helped me make this into what I hope will be a useful and interesting article for everyone who reads it. Thanks to all of you critters for your help!

From the website: Cover Story - Get Connected, Get Published: How to select the right freelance editor A variety of editorial consultants are available for hire, but the types of services they offer vary. Here's a handy overview.


Roger Poppen

My short story "The Cat with Three Legs" is published in the Spring issue of Skyline Magazine online. Thank you to those who critted it on Fiction long ago. I'm pleased because this is one of my longer stories, which I've found to be harder to place than flash or micro
pieces.


Gary Presley

An essay: "Lewis Trades on Pity"--the sort of stuff that's hard to write because it's easy to be misunderstood, but it still needs to be said. In the Springfield, Missouri, News-Leader.


Marcus Rose

The newest issue of The Benefactor - a periodical sold in the bookstores of Portland - contains my story "Little-Box Plantation Homes." Though I'm dissatisfied with the draft they accepted for publication, I'm grateful to be in print.

Also, of especial interest to Wayne Scheer, my story "Territory for Us" was accepted for publication in Skive Magazine, a quarterly which may or may not be based in Australia. (I can't figure it out.)

I submitted both of these stories to the Fiction list and both of them received invaluable advice from the critiquers there. Thanks to all.


Bob Sanchez

iUniverse accepted my application for their Star designation for my novel When Pigs Fly, which required sales of 500 copies and a marketing plan to move forward. Benefits include a larger royalty, active marketing to book chains, returnability, a copy edit and new cover both at iUniverse's expense...returnability means a lot.

One interesting comment from iUniverse: they "strongly suggest" a subtitle. Maybe that's to further distinguish it from a couple of children's publications of the same name, but I don't know.


Wayne Scheer

I just got word that Burst has accepted, "In a Blues Mood," which I wrote for Practice-w just a few weeks ago. Burst records fiction and nonfiction under 700 words for mobile phones and pays $10. The stories are also published online.

Long Story Short has accepted my story, "Visiting Mama," for their May issue. I suppose they think of it as a Mother's Day story.

And my story "Not Ready" is one of the stories featured this week at Sniplits. That means you can hear the story read for only forty-eight cents. A bargain.


Mona Vanek

The North Palouse Journal, Feb. 26, 2009, a weekly newspaper serving several small towns in southeastern Washington and western Idaho, published my review of Gary Presley's Seven Wheelchairs, A Life Beyond Polio, giving it more space than any other story in that issue. Many thanks to Non Fiction members who helped me polish it. I'm delighted, and hopeful that other small-town newspapers I've sent it to will do likewise. I'll continue sending it around.


Joanna M. Weston

A poem, 'Outside office hours', up at Pemmican Press. Somewhat different from my usual.

Many thanks!
_______________________________________

No comments: