Monday, May 18, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody


Jeannette Cezanne

So the story I wrote about my experience living on a haunted estate many years ago—that I'd really put together for a ghost-story reading last Halloween—came out this month in Fate Magazine, a paying market. It's called "Talking Back."

And a poem I wrote for my stepson, "Haven," appears in this month's issue of Mom Writer's Literary Magazine, a non-paying market.

Both are print publications.


Mira Desai

I’m delighted to inform you of publication of a short story translation, "A Fistful of Flowers" in Muse India (May- June issue), originally titled "Khobo bhariney phool" in Gujarati by Shri Pravinsinh Chavda. It is a tale of an older man’s obsession set against a conservative backdrop.

Feels great!


Sue Ellis

A couple of weeks ago we had an assignment at Practice to write an essay of some kind. I wrote about the ten years I delivered mail on a rural route. Used short paragraphs with bits and pieces of memories, rather like prose. On a whim, I expanded a few paragraphs and sent it off to Christian Science Monitor. They said yes!! I've spent a few days going over edits with an editor there, who was a pleasure to work with. Don't know when it will be appearing, but thanks so much to all of you who encouraged me on that one.


Alice Folkart

I have a book review up at Rebeca Schiller's Alvah's Books.

Nifty site. Enjoyed working with Rebeca.


Rebecca Keller

I just learned that my excerpt of a novel in progress, working title "Inventories: A Coming-of-Middle-Age Story," earned me a substantial scholarship to the Wesleyan Writers Conference next month, where the faculty and speakers include people like Amy Bloom, Ravi Shankar, Julie Barer, Roxana Robinson and Katha Pollit.

Portions of this novel were submitted to the IWW's Novels-l list, and I'll probably begin submitting again at some point.


Victoria Mixon

My essay on how not to write a query letter, "Hooks from Hell", is up on Wendy Burt-Thomas' site, Ask Wendy - The Query Queen.


Randy Radic

My review of "The Canal Builders" is up at Alvah's Books. Thanks to Rebeca for both the book and the opportunity.


Wayne Scheer

My short story, "Family Man," has been accepted by Pear Noir. Thanks to the Fiction group for their fine critiques.

Dead Mule has accepted my flash story, "Neighborly Concern," for one of their summer issues.

Burst Fiction has accepted a flash originally written for Practice, "An Evening Repeats."

Thanks to all.


Jack Shakely

I can't believe what I am about to write: my historical novel "The Confederate War Bonnet" has been awarded the gold medal in the category of historical/military fiction in the 2009 Independent Publisher Book Awards (the IPPY Awards).

I am touched and honored and especially want to thank JoAnne Sanger for her critiquing.


Carole Sutton

My crime fiction novel "Ferryman" has just received a review from Todd Fonseca on Goodreads.


Joanna M. Weston

I have three poems up at Seven Beats a Second.

Scroll down past nine photos and I'm after James Laughlin's poem. Many thanks to the Poetry critters for their help with these.

No comments: