Sunday, May 24, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

The IWW's "Practice" list continues to serve as a springboard for some of our members' publishing successes, and it's great to see those efforts paying off!

Also in this week's collection is a beautifully written piece about Memorial Day by Ruth Douillette. Given today's holiday, I'm deviating a little from our usual order and moving Ruth's tribute to the top.

Here's a hearty congratulations to this week's crew, and may you all enjoy many more writing successes!

Jody


Ruth Douillette

I have a Memorial Day piece in Camroc Press Review. It's accompanied by a photo of my husband (who's the subject of the piece) at the Wall in D.C.


Pamelyn Casto

I'm pleased to have an article in the [collective] book The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction -- hot off the presses just a few days ago. My article is on using myth to create flash fiction and it includes an example story by the fine writer Robert Hill Long. The collection also includes articles by Robert Olen Butler, Ron Carlson, Jayne Anne Phillips, Steve Almond, Stuart Dybek, David Martone, Deb Olin Unferth, Mark Budman, and others fine writers. Here's some info on the collection from the web site.

With its unprecedented gathering of 25 brief essays by experts in the field, The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction meets the growing need for a concise yet creative exploration of the re-emerging genre popularly known as flash fiction. The book's introduction provides, for the first time, a comprehensive history of the short short story, from its early roots and hitherto unknown early publications and appearances, to its current state and practice. This guide is a must for anyone in the field of short fiction who teaches, writes, and is interested in its genesis and practice.

For those looking for another history on flash fiction you can see my 8,000-word article included in "Books and Beyond: The Greenwood Encyclopedia of New American Reading" (4-vols, Ken Womack, Editor, Westport, Connecticut / London: Greenwood Press, 2008). More info on this four-volume encyclopedia can be seen at my Flash Fiction Blog. You might ask your library to order it for you. Further, this collection was cited as a RUSA Outstanding Reference Source (the first Dartmouth win for Greenwood Press).


Mira Desai

Calque, a literary translation site, has published the story "Instantly," a translation of Pravinsinh Chavda’s "Sheegrata."

It's a tale about a woman who is a survivor and knows how to make the most of her beauty.

Gentle on the essay; it's the first one I've written after Class 12.

Work that was ready in 2005 finally finds a home. Humbling.


Stacey Dye

My poem "Gamblin' Man" is currently up at Camroc Press Review.

It's special to me as it is a real conversation between me and my dad right after he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He was a man of few words, but to me, these were profound.


Sue Ellis

Birmingham Arts Journal has accepted "Sophie's Song," a story that began in Practice and asked that we include music in the story. I chose elk bugling because I think the sound resembles clarinet notes. Anyway, thanks to everyone who encouraged and responded with crits. The story will appear in the July issue.


Rebecca Gaffron

My story "The Neighbor's Cat" has found a home at Colored Chalk. It will be included in the up-coming Broken Clocks issue. Thanks to everyone on fiction who critted this one.

A very short piece called "Capacity" will be appearing in Ink, Sweat and Tears sometime in the next few weeks. This is a great little journal. It primarily publishes poetry but also some micro-fiction and art work.

I also have the honor of joining Judith and Wayne with a dark little piece now up at Flash Fire 500.

It's been a good week!


Deanna Hershiser

Flashquake has accepted my nonfiction piece, "Literary Release," for their Summer 2009 edition. It'll go online June 1.

Thanks so much to those who critiqued an earlier version titled "Book Drive." I will receive $5; it's nice to return to the glamorous world of paid writing! I really appreciate the help and support on the lists here.


Ann Hite

My essay, "Tacky Yard Ornaments," will be published in the July issue of The Birmingham Arts Journal. Yeah! This piece started as a practice piece and grew. Thanks practice list.

I found out on Friday that my novel, "Beautiful Wreck," was a semi-finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest. This means it made it all the way down to the last two hundred before they chose the three finalists. The contest began with 10,000 entries. I did receive a review from Publishers Weekly that was favorable, but pointed out the reasons they didn't pick it over the last three. I'm on cloud nine guys. The novel going this far means a publisher will take it. We'll see. I'm going to try and sleep now.


Jonjo (Fennel)

My review of Kim Sheard's "Movin' Up" is up at Long and Short Reviews.


Kathleen Jordan

I have had my first piece accepted. The Shine will publish my memoir/essay (there seemed to be some disagreement on which it was) "The Passing," in its September issue. Thanks so much to those in Nonfiction and Novels-L for their help with this piece.


Judith Quaempts

A somewhat grim little piece of mine is up at Flash Fire 500.


Randy Radic

An excerpt from "Blood In, Blood Out: The Violent Empire of the Aryan Brotherhood" is up on Crime Magazine. For obvious reasons, under a pen-name.

My review of "Patches of Grey" is up at Alvah's Books. Thanks to Rebeca for both the book and the opportunity.


Wayne Scheer

"A Suburban Story," is up at Flash Fire 500. No payment, but they respond quickly and put up the story even faster. Good for when you need that jolt of instant gratification. "A Suburban Story" began as a Practice exercise. Thanks to the group for your critiques and encouragement.


Harriette Spanabel

My story "Only An Experiment" is up at Cynicmag under featured stories.


Joanna M. Weston

My poem "Old trains" is up at Camroc Press Review. Memories of those long-ago days travelling to boarding school!

No comments: