Monday, June 15, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody
------------------

Bill Barnes

On June 10 I celebrated my 80th birthday and my 15th anniversary as a would-be writer.

"Nonesuch Chronicles"
"Running on the Edge"
"Nonesuch Boom"


Barry Basden

"Mother's Day" has been published as a rant (which it was) by Poor Mojo's Almanac(k). They've put in an extra paragraph break, but, hey, it's readable.

Thanks to all on the nonfiction list who helped and commented.

"Combat Surgeon," a very short story, has been published by Fiction at Work.

It was helped long ago by kind folks on the nonfiction and prose poetry lists.

Thanks to all.


Rebecca Coleman

Publishers Weekly has reviewed "Desperado City," my book coming out in August. The verdict: "full of trivial and unoriginal tales of teen angst" and-- here's a quote for the cover-- "a schizophrenic tangle."

Do you know what this means? PUBLISHERS WEEKLY REVIEWED MY BOOK!

My last book didn't make it onto their radar, so I couldn't be happier to see that it caught the attention of someone who was so profoundly affected by my prose. Well, I would probably be happier if they actually reviewed it positively, but every book's going to have its haters and I'm in good company. I've heard that just getting reviewed in PW means the book will be put on the "buy" list for libraries. So I'm pretty excited.

To add a bit of extra perspective to the experience, I went ahead and nominated myself for a "Worstie" at The Worst Review Ever.

Incidentally, Dark Angel Reviews put up a very positive review that showed me it's not lost on everyone. More reviews like that would be nice, but who knows what will happen. Oh the fun :-)


Ruth Douillette

"Dinnertime Waltz," a short piece I wrote in response to a Practice exercise, has been published on Camroc Press Review. Anyone who has indulged in a pre-dinner glass of wine might identify.

This happens to be a bit of fiction, but Camroc Press publishes poetry and nonfiction, as well as fiction--all of the micro variety, 500 words or less.


Jonjo (Fennel)

My latest review, "A Trust Earned" by Diana Castilleja is up at Long and Short Reviews.

A review of "River of Dreams" by Vanessa Harvey is also up at Long and Short Reviews.


Alice Folkart

My 50-word story, "Cross Town Bus" is up at 50 to 1. Thanks to Barry Basden for introducing us to this e-zine.


Rebecca Gaffron

The stories that I yahooed about a few weeks ago have been posted.

"Capacity" is up at Ink Sweat & Tears.

"The Neighbor's Cat" is up at Colored Chalk.

My poem, "Demons," is up at Camroc Press Review.


June Gallant

The speech I ghosted back in March has just won the third leg of its competition, this one being Atlantic Canada. Next stop will be the National competition in August, performed at Niagara Falls. In case I made a mistake in the previous Yahoos; first step was local, second was provincial.


Ann Hite

Scribblers' Retreat Writers' Conference at Sea Palms Resort, St. Simons Island has just informed me they had a speaker cancellation. I have been invited to speak in August of this year. I'm packing already. Yeah! I also plan on researching Darien, the setting of my novel in progress, on Sunday before I head home. Doors seemed to be opening each day.


Mridu Khullar

My article "Recession Tips: Make an extra $1,000 a month" is one of the featured cover stories in The Writer magazine's July issue.


Tom Mahony

My story, "Genius" is up at Nights and Weekends.

A short essay, "Ecology and Physics Envy" (intended for a scientific audience) is up at LabLit.


Gary Presley

An odd little creative nonfiction piece I wrote about my obsession with Brussel sprouts, and my wife, is up on The Carmoc Press Review.

I've learned that reviews of my book "Seven Wheelchairs" appeared in Missouri Life Magazine and in 417 Magazine, but I haven't been able to gather up copies of either magazine yet; knowing that triggered my obsession with Amazon numbers, which apparently ignored both reviews. I did find a very nice personal review on Amazon, though, from a reader in Canada.


Bob Sanchez

Wayne Scheer has posted an entertaining Amazon review of my novel "Getting Lucky," which I hope you will read at the Amazon site.

Now here is the hint: For some reason, Amazon has screwed up the price, showing it as $24.95 for the paperback. No, no, no, that's the hardcover price. In smaller print it says the paperback edition is $13.45. Now that's correct.


Virginia Winters

My story "His Last Review" is up at Revenge Lit. Thanks to all who critiqued it.

No comments: