Monday, August 10, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

It's been an exceptionally good week for Internet Writing Workshop members, whose publishing successes include new novels, a book trailer, a series in The New York Times and a number of other terrific placements.

Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody
------------------

Barry Basden

My flash, "Reynolds and Me," recently published in Poor Mojo's Almanac(k), will also appear in a print anthology of vets' stories being put together by Bannock Street Books, a small paying market. Tentative publication date is September 2009.

This project is only open to veterans but the stories don't have to be about their military service. You can check out the guidelines here.


Mark Budman

Bob Sommer has reviewed my book "My Life at First Try" for Rain Taxi.


Tim Elhajj

My story "What Kind of Father Am I?" is forthcoming in the next issue of Sweet, an online literary journal. I got some help with this one from the good people on NFICTION list.

The editor said: "Our readers and editors were all impressed, particularly with the fresh voice at work in a subject not often written about. The length, breadth, and quality of writing are things that make the piece a nice fit for our magazine."


Rebecca Gaffron

My story "The Fencer" has been accepted for the Fall 2009 issue of Boston Literary Magazine. The editor, Robin Stratton, had been very encouraging and easy to work with.


Alan Girling

One current and two belated notices from me. First, a poem in Qarrstiluni, in its Economy issue, my first with an audio download or stream. Submissions are open for its next issue, themed Words of Power.

Plus, two flash pieces: "Not Pretty" at Postcard Shorts, and "Just the Cup" at Fiction at Work. Mine is the 'memo' called 'Re: Cafeteria Use.'


Deanna Hershiser

BackHome Magazine has accepted my article about unusual family pets, now titled "Home and Garden Snakes."

My second guest blog in two weeks is up at Relief Journal.

Thanks so much to those on the Nonfiction list who helped with both of these.


Lynne Hinkey

My short story, "Paradise Found?" was accepted for October publication in the Petigru Review, the South Carolina Writer's Workshop Literary Journal. The story is a slightly altered, mini-version of my novel currently being reviewed on Novels-l.

Thanks to everyone on that list who helped!


Jassy Mackenzie

My second novel, "My Brother's Keeper," has just been published in South Africa. I was lucky enough to get a great blurb from one of my all-time favourite authors, Jeffery Deaver, who called the story "truly compelling."

And my first novel, "Random Violence," is coming out in Germany in mid-August, published by the Diana imprint. Information about both books is available on my website.

Thank you so much to all the IWW members who critted these two books and gave me such invaluable help in transforming them into publishable works. I could not have done it without your enthusiasm, great advice and constructive input.


Tom Mahony

My short story, "Democracy" is up at The Foghorn.


Sheri McGregor

My latest hiking book, a slim, take-along version for novice hikers, has reached the shelves. In fact, Barnes & Noble has it up in a special counter display to capitalize on impulse buys. The new book, "Easy Hikes Close to Home: San Diego," was at the request of my publisher earlier this year, and it came out quite lovely with the photos and arrangement.

I have also received my first nice e-mail in response to the book, which is always nice.


Randy Radic

My review of "The Russian Revolution" is up at Alvah's Books. Thanks to Rebeca for the book and the opportunity.

Also out is my book trailer for "Blood In, Blood Out," which will be published by Headpress of the UK.


Wayne Scheer

Bannock Street Books accepted my non-fiction piece, "My War Story," for a chapbook by vets. It nets me $25.

My thanks to Barry Basden for yahooing the acceptance of his story at Bannock Street. I submitted my story to the editor this afternoon and she accepted it this evening. Talk about instant gratification.


Paul Stenquist

I'm writing a multi-part blog for the New York Times. The first installment, "Woodward Dream Cruise in a Nightmare Economy," was published on August 4, and Part II, "Where Dream Cruisers Gather Before the Big Day," on August 6.


S.L. Weis

My review of "New Stories from the South 2009" is posted on Alvah's Books.

Thanks to Rebeca for the opportunity.


Joanna M. Weston

My poem "Monday" is up at Ascent Aspirations Magazine.


Virginia Winters

My short piece "Manhattan" is up at Six Sentences. Thanks to everyone who critiqued it and to Sheila for suggesting Six Sentences to me.

No comments: