Sunday, September 20, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues.

Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody
------------------

Barry Basden

My microfiction, "Johnny Came By," is live on Dogzplot.

Thanks to all on the fiction list who took a look at it.


Mira Desai

I’m delighted to announce the publication of a translated story, "Trimurti," in Calquezine. The original story by Shri Pravinsinh Chavda is in Gujarati.

The title, literally "Three facets/statues" derives from the Hindu triumvirate of Gods, Lord Brahma (the creator), Lord Vishnu, (the nurturer), and Lord Shiv (the destroyer).

This tale of dawning awareness of a relationship and consequent measured grief at its close clearly ranks amongst the author’s finest works. Taking the boundaries of this story to another language, conveying this distinct measured sense without going overboard on the despair was the most difficult part of this translation.

Thanks, IWW!


Ruth Douillette

Camroc Press Review published a short piece of mine called "Coffee Break" -- a vignette about a mother and son. Lots of good things to read in editor Barry Basden's publication.


Tim Elhajj

My story, "What Kind of Father Am I," is up at Sweet.


Dawn Goldsmith

I've switched my blog Observations to a little different format focused more on writing and growing as a writer. I plan to do much like I have with the Subversive Stitcher blog and look for good information to help us grow as writers as I focus on my own writing and growth.

I welcome all comments and suggestions as I venture into this new focus.


Karyn Hall

The September Internet Review of Books is up and includes my short review of Sweet Mary.

Thanks very much to Ruth Douillette and Julie McGuire for the opportunity.


Deanna Hershiser

A piece that began long, was critted on NFiction, and is now shorter is up at Camroc Press Review. "A Discovered Legacy" recalls my grandma and dad's long-ago relationship with Richard Brautigan. Thanks for the help, everyone, and thanks, Barry Basden, for all your work with this journal.


Ann Hite

Here's another book I reviewed for Feminist Review, Kiss The Sky.


Tom Mahony

My flash story, "Showtime" is up at Fiction at Work.


Tannice Pendegrass

An article I wrote about a new fashion designer, entitled "Le Duel et Jewel," is to be published in Kismet Magazine on October 1st.


Judith Quaempts

50-1 accepted a small piece of mine that's up now. Thanks to Barry Basden for seeing it and emailing me about it.


Randy Radic

My review of The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe is up at Basil & Spice. Thanks to Kelly for the book and the opportunity.

My review of Street Legends is up on Alvah's Books. Thanks to Seth for the book and Rebeca for the opportunity.

My review of Carole Sutton's new book, And the Devil Laughed, is up at Alvah's Books. Thanks to Carole for the book and Rebeca for the opportunity.

Also, I am "pleased as punch" to announce that Alvah's Books has very kindly promoted me to the position of Senior Editor. Thank you, Rebeca!


Catherine Robinson

My first column in a real, albeit smaller circulation magazine is out. Hybrid Mom (page 44!) is available at Barnes & Noble, Gymboree, and through subscription.

Thanks for all the support. I feel like I've come a long way since the days when I just wrote letters to editors. And a long way to go!

Also, Tampa Bay readers voted me Best Female Contributor to Creative Loafing (the alternative weekly paper).


Bob Sanchez

iUniverse just told me that Barnes & Noble placed a small stocking order for When Pigs Fly. iU has no idea which B&N stores will get them. This is progress for a self-pubbed author!


Anita Saran

My recent yahoos on Suite101:

David Ogilvy – The Man Behind the Legend

And critiqued on nfiction: Sound – Its Importance in the Short Story

Tips for Copywriters on Generating Good Ideas

And my favourite direct mail piece for Seagram's Passport Scotch -- Copywriting Ideas From Brand Names. Please read. It is funny and had the client in splits.


Wayne Scheer

Scribblers on the Roof, a new publication for stories and poems with Jewish themes or content, has reprinted my story, "Blind Date, 1960."

This piece was critiqued in both Practice and Fiction, so a big thanks to all.


Rebeca Schiller

I'm tooting my own horn before the piece is written, but I wanted to share how FaceBook or Twitter can actually come through on a writing assignment.

About a week ago, I had on my status that I was looking for more freelance writing gigs, and one of my friends (and I only know this person via FB, we've never met in person) asked if I was interested in writing for his art magazine, HandEye. He gave me the URL, I looked at it and saw that one of my artist friends would be a good fit. I pitched the idea--nothing fancy, just a simple email with my artist friend's website--and said if you like his stuff let me know and I'll do a profile piece about him and his work.

Well, he liked what he saw. I got the assignment and tomorrow afternoon I have an interview scheduled. It's a 500 word piece that will appear online. The best part of this is that this is the type of publication I always wanted to write for and it pays very nicely.


Carole Sutton

For those who remember the working title of Draper's Wharf, now renamed And the Devil Laughed, check out Randall Radic's Review on Alvah's Books.

Thanks to Randy for the review and Rebeca for the opportunity to display it.


Clive Warner

My piece on life in Mexico finally appeared in the Daily Telegraph (UK daily newspaper).


Virginia Winters

My short story, "A Superior Crime," has been accepted and is online at Pine Tree Mysteries.

Thanks to everyone who critiqued it.

My story, "Coming Home," critiqued by several of you, is up at Camroc Press Review.

Thanks to all.

No comments: