Sunday, December 6, 2009

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues.


Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody
------------------

Virginia Winters

My story "The Birthday Present," which I did yahoo before, is now up at Ducts.org.


Wayne Scheer

My story, "Confession of a Stalker," which I assure you is fiction, is up at Poor Mojo's Almanac(k).

My comic story, "The Naked City," is up (so to speak) at Everyday Fiction.

My flash, "Those Eyes," is up at Long Story Short. Thanks to all at Practice who helped me with this one.


Randy Radic

My article about Clarence Ray Allen is up at Crime Magazine. Thanks to Pat for the opportunity.

My review of two smartphone cases from Otterbox are up at Basil and Spice. Thanks to Kelly for the cases and the opportunity.


Judith Quaempts

Barry Basden, editor of Camroc Press Review, kindly accepted two of my poems. "The Visit" is up today. "Address Unknown" will appear in a later issue. Barry makes what's hard seem so easy.


Tom Mahony

My essay, "Sharky," is up at Bewildering Stories.

My micro piece, "Wine and Salad" is up at Johnny America.


Mel Jacob

My book review of The Sapphire Sirens by John Zakour is up at SFRevu.com.

Zakour's almost comic book novel continues the adventures of the last free-lance private investigator, Zachary Nixon Johnson, in The Sapphire Sirens, the seventh of his novels. Johnson, aided by his able assistant, lives in a future world where well-endowed Amazonian women have designs on him. Hired by a Lantian princess to find the killer of her mother, the queen, he finds himself whisked to the secret island of Lantis. There, he learns his beautiful client is suspected of the murder.


Ann Hite

This month a publisher in New York requested to read all of Ghost On Black Mountain. I'm not going to mention names at this point. My agent sent the manuscript off. This press publishes beautiful novels and I knew if I was turned down it would a setback.

I received my manuscript back today, postage paid by the publisher--unheard of--with a complete line edit of the novel--unheard of--along with three suggests in which rewrites would take place. In the letter accompanying the package, I was told to let the publisher know what I thought of the comments and suggestions. The publisher was looking forward to hearing from me.

We all know publishers do not line edit and make rewriting suggestions to be 'nice'. Can I pinch myself? They are interested in the book with the changes and feeling me out for my response.

The suggestions were dead on and very helpful! I am all for making them. It seems with God's Grace I may get a deal on this book after all. So, excuse me while I roll up my sleeves and get started.


Alice Folkart

My poem, "Living on an Island," is up in Callused Hands, Issue #11 (fourth poet down the page).

The other work is interesting, and I liked the editor--quick response and then he passes the work as it will appear by the author for final review (edits, corrections). He then lets you know when it's up. Can't ask for much more than that, can you?

He welcomes submittals of poetry and flash fiction. Hope you enjoy.


Sue Ellis

I entered a Christmas story contest at Cynic Magazine and got honorable mention.

Thanks so much, Fiction, for the helpful crits. If I'd listened to Wayne's [Scheer] advice and dropped the naked lady from the Santa story, I might have done better, but I was really attached to my hair-brained idea. Anyway, lots of holiday cheer there, and not a bit of it cynical. I'm under the list of 2009 honorable mentions: Santa and the Naked Lady.


Pamelyn Casto

This news sure made my day!

It is so pleasing to see a full-page review of The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers and Writers in the Field (edited by Tara Masih, 2009), in the December 2009 issue of The Writer. The review by Amy Wallen is very positive. Here's a snip from p. 44 of The Writer:

"All writers of flash fiction-- not just those interested in trying out the form-- should own this book. The essays provide inspiration and a variety of perspectives. The sample stories, as a collection, represent the diversity of this genre. The exercises, on the other hand, separate the practical teachers of the bunch from the more esoteric writers who don't know exactly how to explain how they write." (Amy Wallen)

It was especially pleasing that Waller even mentioned my own article in the review "The Myth-ing Link."

You can see more about the collection itself at Rose Metal Press.


Mark Budman

The Writer magazine has a full-page review of The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers and Writers in the Field, in which my work appears.


Jan Bridgeford-Smith

My short story, "The 1937 Ebenezer Church Underpants Fire," recently appeared in the December e-newsletter of the California Writers Club-West Valley Branch, courtesy of Kathy Highcove, editor and fellow Practice List member.

The humorous story is set in the southern Chesapeake region of Maryland, once famous for tobacco, oysters and crabs. This piece was first submitted to the Practice List in response to an exercise. Comments from list members made polishing the story an easy task--make that sort of easy. Thanks, IWW Practice List members!

The entire newsletter is a fun read.


Barry Basden

This is not about my poem being online--I know CPR's editor well.

No, it's because of Sarah Morgan's post about Robert Olen Butler's theory of writing in a dream state. Reading that caused me to write about a trapper boy in an old photo that haunted me.

No comments: