Monday, February 1, 2010

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to take creativity to entirely new levels within their respective workshops, polishing and finding publication success with everything from travel writing and Tanka (a Japanese poem) to gaming reviews -- done in animation!

Congratulations to this week's crew for some imaginative publishing successes!

Jody

------------------

Jackie Arnett

Clive Warner is today's guest on the blog Sherry Gloag: The Heart of Romance.

Please drop by and say hello.


Jan Bridgeford-Smith

My flash piece, "An Urchin's Tale" was picked up by Vagabondage Press for the September issue of The Battered Suitcase.

Thanks to all on the Practice list for your crits, suggestions, patience and constant support!

My flash fiction piece, "Mashed Potato Requiem," was just published in the quarterly Flash Me Magazine. It's a modest subscription fee for the zine and well worth the few dollars--not to read my story--but for the fine work of the many accomplished writers that are featured.


Douglas Bushong

I finally finished the animation for the NyxQuest review. I ultimately decided to remove the introductory commentary and dive straight into the review. The episode can be found on YouTube.

Also, I received an e-mail from one of the developers at Over the Top Games (the makers of NyxQuest), thanking me for the positive review.

Thanks again to everyone that reviewed the script. Your feedback was helpful.


Jeannette Cezanne

Perceptions Literary Magazine will be publishing my short story "Shadowland" in May. Hard copy only. I'm happy to have found a home for this story—I wrote it several years ago and frankly I really like it a lot.


Stacey Dye

I have been published in Sketchbook. It's a journal for short eastern and western forms. I submitted several Tanka and they chose to use them all! I am so excited! I have been working on this form for quite a while and am finally making strides. I love the beauty of it and the story of the Tanka itself.

Many Japanese women actually wrote their journal entries in Tanka hundreds of years ago. It is more a single thought than broken thoughts like haiku, though if written as traditionally designed, lines 1-3 would make a haiku as would lines 3-5. That is now an option. Both are fun and exciting to write but I found the Tanka better fit my style.

Thanks to everyone who helps me and encourages me in my desire to write free verse and other genres of poetry!


Sue Ellis

I have two disconnected poems up, fleetingly, at Ink Sweat and Tears.

The editor is soliciting short stories, poetry and book reviews.


Rebecca Gaffron

My prose poem, "Letter to Odysseus," has been accepted for an upcoming issue of Birmingham Arts Journal. I'll let you know when it's posted.


Mel Jacob

My latest book reviews for SFRevu and Gumshoe Review include:

Up at SFRevu.com:

The Reckoners by Doranna Durgin, Tor Books, Mass Market Paperback, ISBN/ITEM#: 9780765361646
Doranna Durgin begins a new urban fantasy series with The Reckoners featuring feisty heroine and ghost hunter Lisa McGarrity, known to her friends as Garrie. Durgin takes the reader on a wild ride with plenty of twists and turns. The most interesting character is Sklayne, Trevarr's pseudo-cat, who feeds on energy and loves nothing better than to draw it from power outlets and to travel via power lines.

The Taborin Scale: A Novella of the Dragon Griaule by Lucius Shepard, Subterranean Press, Deluxe Hardcover, ISBN/ITEM#: 9781596062887
Shepard's latest novella, The Taborin Scale, follows the adventures of a coin dealer, a whore, and an abused girl. His narrative serves as a commentary on society and the roles each person plays, as well as what happens when placed in unfamiliar surroundings where he doesn't know the rules.


How to Host a Killer Party: A Party-Planning Mystery by Penny Warne, Signet Mass Market Paperback, ISBN/ITEM#: 9780451229304
Alcatraz provides the venue for the mayor's party and surprise wedding to his fiancée, Ikea Takeda. However, she later turns up dead and Presley Parker, the party planner, is the major suspect.

Margarita Nights: A Sherri Travis Mystery by Phyllis Smallman, McArthur & Company Publishing, Ltd., Trade Paperback ISBN/ITEM#: 9781552786994
In Margarita Nights, Phyllis Smallman's debut novel, bartender Sherri Travis is accused of murdering her husband Jimmy when his boat blows up and the police discover the exhaust fan had been tampered with shortly after Sherri visited it.

Mister Slaughter by Robert McCammon, Subterranean Press, Hardcover, ISBN/ITEM#: 9781596062764
Not for the squeamish, Robert McCammon's latest novel, Mister Slaughter, features Matthew Corbett, an aspiring detective in Colonial America, hired to transport a serial killer to trial. The killer escapes leaving Matthew and his mentor for dead. A trail of tortured dead mark his trail.


Anita Saran

After more than 60 articles up on Suite101, I'm finally seeing some money coming in. The best thing is that it's residual income and is for life! And the more quality stuff I put up, the better my earnings.

The best part is that I just landed another writing gig on the strength of these articles and am now writing little ebooks for quite a bit of cash. The other gig is writing travel stuff for Internet Brands - a Los Angeles based website.

Here are some of my recent articles on Suite101:



Wayne Scheer

My story, "Without Tears," went up on Weird Year on Jan. 25.

"The Wrong Fantasy," a story (of sorts) under 50 words, is up at Blink-Ink.

Boston Literary Magazine has accepted, "Holding Hands," for an upcoming issue.

My flash, "Saying Goodbye," is up at Shine Journal. This one began in Practice and is a more tender version of the under 50 word comic flash I recently announced.

The Internet Review of Books has reprinted my essay on J.D. Salinger on their blog. For those not tired of reading about him (and me), I thought I'd let you know.


Rebeca Schiller

I've been keeping quiet about this for a week now just to make sure everything was going well, but I recently started working with Hand/Eye Magazine as a contributing writer/editor, and Jill of all trades. It's a paid position. In fact, it actually pays a good portion of my bills.

Last week I edited an article, Circle of Thread, and ghost wrote Woolen Wit. This week, I got my own byline with QuiltGuys.

Please check them out. And if you like what you've read, subscribe to it (it's free for the online version; paid subscription for the print is $26.00).

Hopefully if everything goes well I'll be yahooing a lot.


Joanna M. Weston

Cheers! I have three poems up at Birds by My Window. Scroll down the right hand column.

-------------------

No comments: