Monday, February 8, 2010

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody

------------------

Joanna M. Weston

I've got an armful of dragons up at 50-to-1 today (one line)!

A poem, "School fire," coming out of a real event, is up at Callused Hands. Scroll down.


Rebeca Schiller

Last week was hellacious because I had so much work to do with Hand/Eye Magazine. The publisher/editor was in NYC at the gift show and I had to make sure that this week's issue was ready for him to make his edits and upload. That meant editing two articles and bylining another two. This week's issue is now up.


Wayne Scheer

Our own Kathy Highcover was kind enough to publish a story of mine, "Spring Fever," in the newsletter she edits for the West Valley Branch of the California Writers Club. My story is on page 11.

My attempt at crime fiction, "No Unusual Activity," is up at Powder Burn Flash.

An old flash, "Drinking Alone," is up at Foundling Review.

My comic micro flash, "They Can't All Be Gems," written with the Practice group, is up at Long Story Short.

Whortleberry Press has accepted an old story, "Naked Lady in 3B," for publication in their print anthology called Strange Mysteries, Volume II. If you have a mystery (detective) story with an unusual twist, between 2000 and 4000 words, they respond quickly and pay $10 and a copy of the book. Submit before March 1.


Catherine Robinson

A few of my articles are up and in print as well.

At Creative Loafing - "How to survive youth sports"

At Tampa Tribune - "How to enjoy a colposcopy"

At Creative Loafing - "The Democrats need a leader - maybe someone like Toby Keith?"


Randy Radic

My review of Empire of Debt is up at Silver Monthly. Thanks to Adam for the book and the opportunity.

My article/review about perfume is up at Basil and Spice. Thanks to Kelly for the opportunity.


Judith Quaempts

I have a poem up at Camroc Press Review. Many thanks to Barry Basden for not only giving it a home but for ironing out some kinks.

A short story has been accepted by Jason Warden for Shadowcast. This went through the fiction list so thanks go to all who helped me improve it. No date yet on when it will be published.


Sheri McGregor

My quotes, and a reference to my hiking website were included in a San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper article about area waterfalls last Saturday. As a result, I've received a spike in traffic, more book sales, and e-zine sign-ups. All PR brings good things, and when you get to talk about something you love, all the better!

My quotes were buried down within the article among many others. In the print version, they chose my words as the "pull quote" with larger print when the article ran onto the second page, so that was cool.


Tom Mahony

My very short story, "Germaphobe" is up at PicFic.


Jassy Mackenzie

My first novel, Random Violence, is launching in the USA in April this year, published by Soho Crime. I've just heard that the first review is in... and it's a starred one from Publishers Weekly!

I'm so thrilled about this. I subbed this book on Novels-L three years ago, and I'd like to say another huge thanks to all the people who offered such helpful, constructive crits.


Nicole Green

My debut novel, Love Out of Order, is now available online and in stores! The book was published under Genesis Press's Indigo Love Spectrum imprint. Most major retailers have it, and a few searches on Indiebound revealed that some indies have it, too!


Alice Folkart

My very short story, "On the Job," appears in the current issue of 50 to 1.


Jody Ewing

Iowa Cold Cases recently added two co-administrators to help with research and writing case summaries - Dr. Nancy Bowers and intern Rebecca Russell, both of Ames. They'll also help with the blog and our Facebook group. Nancy has already contributed some incredible pieces for the site, and Rebecca is tackling research and interviews on a 1971 double homicide for her very first case.

The Muscatine Journal is putting together a series of articles for a special section on cold cases, and I'll be doing an interview with them on Tuesday.

For almost two weeks now, Iowa Central Community College has featured Rebecca's internship with us and information about the Iowa Cold Cases website on their Criminal Justice Program's departmental home page. It's been some great exposure!

And this past week, an anchor/reporter from KCRG-TV 9 in Cedar Rapids contacted us about their plans to do a series on Iowa cold cases, and wanted to meet in Des Moines. I asked Nancy to take the lead on that and she meets with them this week.


Mark Budman

"I was a Cat Once" is up at 50 to 1.

It was critiqued here under the title: "I Knew him, Horatio." Thank you, everyone.

------------------

No comments: