Monday, March 8, 2010

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

It's been another great week for Internet Writing Workshop members, who continue to find publishing success in all venues.

Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody

------------------

Ann Hite

Well, dreams do come true! I just received a contract from Simon & Schuster for my novel, Ghost On Black Mountain! Yes! Excuse me but now reality hits. I have to actually go cook dinner! What's up with that!

Dancing! Dancing!


Barry Basden

My microfiction piece, "With This Ring," is up at Everyday Weirdness.

Thanks be to Ruth D.


Carter Jefferson

Eight years ago an old friend called me up and asked that I teach a writing course for people over 50 in the lifelong-learning program at U. Mass./Boston. I started in in the spring of 2002, teaching a six or eight-week course called "Writing Stories and Memoirs" twice a year.

Accepting the job entailed a fair amount of chutzpah, since I had published tons of non-fiction in a book and numerous newspapers and journals, but only a few short stories, and one short memoir, for e-zines like "Flashquake." Despite that, my classes are always full, with late-comers signing up to get in on the next go-round, and some people taking it six or eight times in a row. Some of the students have had stories published--some of them for money--and two have self-published books. They do write memoirs and short stories, but also essays of various sorts, and even poetry. Today I began my ninth year on the job.

And today the program that sponsors the course published 700 copies of a nicely printed small book called "Mosaic" that contains thirty short works by my former students. The program managers hope to sell the books to help keep the program afloat in these hard times for public universities. The quality of the entries varies, of course, but some are actually quite good. These people learned something.

I am humbled.


Dawn Goldsmith

There is always the satisfaction of writing something, selling it, and receiving the check. But today I had the added satisfaction of revamping a blog entry that plays upon the hardships caused by my husband's boss into an essay that I just sold to Hope Clark for her Funds for Writers newsletter. The original blog is posted here.


Erin Northington

My first Yahoo!

I will be published in the May issue of FACES Magazine, a world cultures magazine for middle readers. Very excited!


Florence Cardinal

I have the following articles up this week:

At Suite 101: "The Beaver: Emblem of Canada"

At Helium: "Memoirs: Christmas during the Great Depression"


Jan Bridgeford-Smith

My short story, "Mane Event," was picked up by Moon Drenched Fables for March. Thanks to the practice list that gave me a start on the story!


Joanna M. Weston

I have a haiku up at Gean Tree (scroll down and look for 'winter solstice'), and a poem, actually an haibun, "Under painted skies," up at Snow Monkey Journal.

With many thanks to the Poetry List for their help.


Jody Ewing

KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids has aired the story, "Cold Cases: Gone But Not Forgotten, Part 1," they did regarding the case summaries Nancy Bowers and I have written for Iowa Cold Cases. The feature includes an interview with Nancy.


John Raff

"The Cruise" is up at 50 to 1.


Les Denham

Along with Rebecca Coleman, I, too, have cause to celebrate. My novel Escape from Texas, about half of which has been critiqued on NOVELS-L, has also advanced to Round 2 of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest.


Mithran Somasundrum

A story I subbed a while back to the Fiction list, "The Farm in Ratchburi," has been accepted by Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. Thanks so much for all the crits. This is the third they've now taken about the same PI character.


Paul Stenquist

I have a piece about the actor Edward Herrmann in The New York Times.


Randy Radic

My review of a skateboard is up at Basil and Spice. Thanks to Ruben Najera for the board and Kelly for the opportunity.

My review of A Lethal Obsession is up at Basil and Spice.


Rebecca Coleman

My novel, The Kingdom of Childhood, has advanced to Round 2 of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest. The first round was based on the 300-word pitch (only). Odds of advancing were 1 in 5 (5000 entries reduced to 1000 moving on), so in the writing world those are pretty good odds. The next level won't be announced until the end of the month.

A major thanks goes to IWW member Erika Hayes for suggesting the contest to me. I'm really glad I jumped in.


Ruth Douillette

I just got word that Chicken Soup for the Soul accepted my essay called "The Price of a Pound of Flesh" for a new book in their voluminous series, called Shaping the New You: 101 Encouraging Stories about Dieting and Fitness... and Finding What Works for You. The book will be published in December.

Thank you to my nonfiction list friends who helped with edits.


Sue Ellis

My poem "Circumstance" is up at The Shine Journal.

Also, last week's Au Naturel assignment at Practice has just been accepted at WeirdYear. It will appear April 7.


Wayne Scheer

"Bibliotherapy," my essay on the influence J.D. Salinger had on me, originally published and reprinted in the Internet Review of Books, was given still another life in flashquake.

And another old one, "The Adventures of Bluey Swanson," creative nonfiction, is up at Long Story Short.

My story, "Naked Lady in 3B," will be reprinted by Whortleberry Press in their Strange Mysteries, Volume II, a print anthology. They published another of my stories in Volume I. The editor is easy to work with and she pays on schedule. They like offbeat stories and are now looking for stories for their "Christmas in Outer Space" anthology.

My recent story for Practice, "No Blessing," has been accepted at WeirdYear and is scheduled for their April 9 issue. Thanks to Sue Ellis for reminding me about Weird Year. This one is perfect for those of us who need instant gratification. I sent the story last night and got an acceptance in the morning.

------------------

No comments: