Monday, June 7, 2010

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

We're two weeks shy of summer but things are already sizzling at the Internet Writing Workshop. Members have been busier than ever producing poetry, short fiction, essays, nonfiction articles and setting up dates for novels to hit bookstore shelves.

Congratulations to our latest and newly published members!

Jody
------------------

Ignatius Aloysius

My Work Poem #1 is in the print issue of Gander Press Review. Thanks to all who helped critique it.

My flash fiction, "The Negotiation," is now up at Six Sentences social network.


Carol Aronoff

My poem "First Born" has been published in the May online edition of Quill and Parchment and will be included in their Motherhood anthology.


Barry Basden

LabLit has published "My Brief Study of Physics."

Thanks to Tom Mahony, whose successes there led me to this venue.


Kristy Bock

I'm excited to say Divine Touch received a 5-cup rating from Coffee Time Romance.

It also received an excellent review from Paranormal Romance.


Mark Budman

The New York magazine mentioned my name among others.


Florence Cardinal

"Sleep Disorders and the Mind" is up at Health Central.

Also up at Health Central is my article, "Rationed Sleep Causes Problems in Daily Life."


Karna Converse

I hope you'll check out my review of The Death of Josseline at the Internet Review of Books and then pick up a copy. No matter what you think about our immigration policies, you'll be affected by this book -- will learn a lot. Thanks to the editors for the opportunity to read it!

My article about a local volunteer-run, investor-funded gift shop in a small Iowa community (pop. 700) appears in the June/July issue of Our Iowa. They even used the photos I sent -- and paid me for them and the writing. You can't read it online but the magazine's website is: www.OurIowaMagazine.com.

This magazine continues to amaze: 84 pages, 60,000 subscribers, 3-1/2 years old. The number of subscribers is 10,000 more than last year's June/July issue.


Sue Ellis

The Wives of Henry Oades is up at The Internet Review of Books under the fiction listings. It's a fascinating novel based on a true story about a man who presumed his wife was dead, only to have her return after he'd remarried. The subsequent bigamy charges came about because he refused to divorce either one, both mothers of his children.

Check out all the wonderful reviews while you're there.


Alice Folkart

My review of Herman Wouk's The Language That God Talks; On Science and Religion, is up at the Internet Review of Books.

I've just been told that my poem, "Queen of the Road," has won Honorable Mention in the monthly Inter-board Poetry Competition on Blueline. It's all about my 'other' life.

Kathy Highcove, editor of In Focus, the Newsletter of the California Writers Club/West Valley, asked me for an Hawaii-themed story and a poem or two for their vacation-themed June issue. I'm delighted to report that she has published my story, "Island Music" (seen in an earlier incarnation on the Practice-W list) and three poems: "Never Mind Mangoes," "Kona Wind," and "Vacation Cottage on the Big Island."

Click on Newsletter in the left navigation panel, and then scroll to pages 8 and 9. Have a look around at the rest of the contents, though; there's some interesting stuff. Hope you have a moment to take a look.


Rebecca Gaffron

My poems "Love Song" and "The Reverend" are posted at Camel Saloon. This is a great web journal!

Viral Cat accepted my very long prose poem, "Things Done and Undone in Dreams Leaving Only What's Been Left Unsaid," for their June 2010 issue and it's now live.

"The Poacher" -- an old story I recently reworked -- is live at Weird Year.

My story "The Experiment" is live at Flash Me Magazine. Thanks to everyone in Practice for their help with this one, especially Sue for suggesting I send it off to Flash Me Magazine.

And, the editor at Camel Saloon chose my prose poem "Love Song" as one of his favorites for May, which means it's now available to read at the Second Hump blog.


Dawn Goldsmith

An unexpected phone call from an editor I respected and enjoyed working with led to an assignment and a delightful interview with Karen McTavish. She is the only quilter I know who wears dredlocks, sings in a heavy metal band and machine stitches the most magnificent, award winning quilts.... And she gives a great interview. The article will be published in the July issue of Quilter Magazine.

In addition to being paid for this, the author has already given me four more assignments.

An offshoot from this adventure was an essay I wrote about relationships with editors and networking for Hope Clark's newsletter, Funds for Writers. It's now available online.

And, although I've been writing reviews for Clarion for quite some time, this is the first time I've seen one listed on an Amazon page as the featured Editorial Review. It was for the book All My Sad Dreaming, which is an excellent read.


Mel Jacob

I have several book reviews up at SFRevu and Gumshoe Review.


Blonde Bombshell by Tom Holt
Tom Holt, noted for his humorous fiction, excels in the shaggiest of shaggy dog stories in Blonde Bombshell. He takes the reader on a whirlwind ride as a bank security consultant and a computer whiz stand between the Earth and a massive bomb designed to destroy it.

Dark Faith, edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon
Apex's interesting new anthology, Dark Faith, contains poems, short stories, and other pieces on the meaning of faith. Some provide dark horror while others focus on inner torments. Good and evil share the focus along with what it means to be human.

The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, Book 2) by Mark Chadbourn
Mark Chadbourn's The Queen of Sinister resembles his earlier series, The Age of Misrule. After the Fall detailed in the Age of Misrule, humanity struggles with the rise of magic and demons and the destruction of modern science. The latest evil comes from that which kills without mercy. A young doctor, Caitlin Shepherd, exhausted trying to help the local villagers fight a deadly plague, returns home to find her husband and son infected and dying. She vows to stop it.


Candlesticks by Sharon Ervin
Sharon Erwin's latest novel, Candlesticks, features a series of burglaries surrounding the consummation of Jancy Dewhurst's marriage to Jim Wills. Jancy, a wire services reporter, chafes at the nature of her assignments and longs for an exciting story. When assigned to investigate a series of burglaries in San Diego, she learns they are linked by the theft of candlesticks. One of the victims turns up dead.

Mrs. Jeffries Speaks Her Mind by Emily Brightwell
Emily Brightwell's 27th mystery novel features Mrs. Jefferies and Inspector Gerald Witherspoon as they focus on the
murder of a well-to-do spinster, Olive Kettering. Brightwell writes Victorian mysteries following the efforts of Witherspoon's servants and a few friends who aid him to solve crimes without his knowledge.

Rock Paper Tiger by Lisa Brackmann
Lisa Brackmann's debut novel Rock Paper Tiger follows Iraq veteran Ellie Cooper as she seeks oblivion in Beijing and offers a gritty look at Chinese life. Her artist friend and sometime lover Lao Zhang meets a timid Uighur hiding from the authorities. Zhang warns Ellie not to go home that night. She spends the rest of the novel looking for him and evading various spooks, goons, and government agents also interested in Zhang.

Slow Horses by Mick Herron
Mick Harmon has created a clever, literate, and darkly humorous thriller in his latest novel, Slow Horses. The horses are MI5 agents who messed up in one way or another. A web broadcast of a hooded man appearing with his captors -- who threaten to behead him in forty-eight hours -- draws their attention. His captors are not what they seem.

Also, the publisher of Dark Faith approached me about reviewing the book.


Ellen Kombiyil

My poem "Boy Holding a Box of a Boy and his Horse: A Russian Doll Poem" won first place in Poemeleon's Mystery Box Contest. I am now the proud recipient of the poem-inspiring box. You can see the box and read the poem at the Poemeleon website.

I also have a poem, "Twin," up at Eclectica. This is a word poem challenge containing the pre-chosen words: branch, daughter, wrinkle and globe.

Many thanks to those who provided comments on this poem for improvement.


Liza Larregui

Golden Visions Magazine has accepted my story "Woman in 2B" for their October online issue. This is a special acceptance for me because it's my first paying market. Very excited. Thank you to all who critiqued it.


Mona Leeson Vanek

The US Forest Service bought two of my historical photos today, and will display them continuously in sign stanchions being erected at the Swamp Creek Trail Head to commemorate the 1910 fire fighters on the Cabinet National Forest. During that dreadful 1910 holocaust, a million acres of land was burned over in a few horrendous days.

They're also looking into linking my 1910 Fire Centennial blog on their commemorative site, 100 Year Commemoration of 1910 Fires, and will do so if possible.

The US Forest Service has included the following notation on their site about the 1910 fire: Lesson Vanek, Mona, Behind These Mountains, Vol 1, 1986; Vols 2 and 3, 1992, (The Statesman-Examiner, Colville, WA) Volume pages 145-151.

The US Forest Service also requested use of another of my historic photographs for the Swamp Creek trail head sign in Sanders county, MT. License to use the image is non-exclusive one-time rights, with special permission to replace it when it's destroyed by nature or vandalism. (Yes, it's a paying market.)

The picture is of Pauline Reithmiller Gordon, wife of Granville "Granny" Gordon, the first ranger at the Bull River Ranger Station, on the Cabinet National Forest. It shows this remarkable lady standing on top of a pile of rocks she helped erect. The "lookout" was the first fire-lookout on the district, located on Squaw Peak Mtn., which recently was renamed Star Peak Mtn. Pauline was a former pastry chef for Wm. Cody at his famous hotel in Cody, WY, when Granny rode in Cody's Wild West Show.

The image will occupy space alongside two images from my collection of historic images -- men who fought the 1910 forest fires that burned over a million acres of timber. Gordon was Forest Ranger at the Bull River Ranger Station, Cabinet National Forest, 1908-1912.


Tom Mahony

My novel, Imperfect Solitude, is set for release by Casperian Books on December 1, 2010.


Eric Peterson

My review of Mark Twain's Other Woman by Laura Skandera Trombley is up at the Internet Review of Books.


Roger Poppen

My flash piece, "Knight of the Living Dead," is up at The Cynic Online Magazine.

Thanks to those who critiqued it on the Fiction List.


Gary Presley

Poor Mojo's Almanac has published an essay I wrote a few months ago after I was compelled to attend a wedding.


Jacquelynn Rasmenia Massoud

My story "Paintings" has been accepted for publication in the May issue of The Legendary.


Anita Saran

My David Ogilvy Award winning mailing for a Sheraton hotel is up on Suite 101. It's really so wonderful to be able to put up all my Direct Mail work and get paid for it.


Wayne Scheer

My flash, "There's Always Hope," was accepted at Long Story Short and is scheduled for their August issue.

Camroc Press Review published my flash, "Memorial Day," May 31.

A print magazine, Chicago Pulp Stories, has accepted "Starting Over" for their next issue. The original story was 2750 words and they wanted it cut down to about 2000. I got it to 2100 and the editor said he could live with that. Cutting almost a quarter of the story without radically changing it was a good writing/editing experience for me.

Also, this may not develop into anything but the editor of Awkward Press, who had accepted my story, "Zen and the Art of House Painting," for their newest print anthology, would like me to work with a director to turn it into a short film. I'm supposed to hear from the director soon.

Apollo's Lyre will publish my story, "At the Market," in their August issue. The story began in Practice.

My story, "My Neighbor's Secret," is up on Whistling Fire. If you'd like to read it, you'll have to scroll down a bit.

Golden Visions Magazine has accepted my story, "Cloning Clark," for their October issue.

I want to thank Liza Larregui for yahooing her success with this publication. I had never heard of it before. It's a paying publication, and it took only a couple of days for them to get back to me. (Another example of why the IWW works so well.)

Finally, a reprint of my horror story, "Till Human Voices Wake Us," is up at Death Head Grin. This is another flash that began in Practice.


Jack Shakely

My memoir, "We're Number Five in Ft. Worth," about my days in the Teen Tones dance band in the fifties, has been selected as one of the best stories in the "My Favorite Popular Song" contest in Red Room. I even won a book. Check it out.


Pat St. Pierre

Just received the print edition of Southern Women's Review. My photo of Marye's Heights is on page 87 in the print edition of Southern Women's Review, and is on page 89 in the online PDF version.

The Angel of Marye’s Heights was a Confederate soldier who risked his life to bring water to wounded Union soldiers. Alicia, the editor, puts out a handsome magazine.

My children's short story "What No One Else Knew" is up on the Smories website. It was one of the 50 finalists.

In addition, two of my photos have been published at Camel Saloon.


Paul Stenquist

My article about children dying in cars -- and efforts to find a solution -- has been published in the New York Times and also is up on their website.


Joanna M. Weston

My poem, "Difference," is up at Four and Twenty. Just click on my name, and have a gentle laugh.

Four poems, one-a-day, will be up this week at the Shreve Memorial Library website. Click on each day of the week to see the poem for that day.

------------------

No comments: