Monday, July 12, 2010

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

It's been a busier than usual month at the Internet Writing Workshop, where members continue to write away their days to a number of publishing successes. 

Congratulations to all our members on these latest successes!


Jody

------------------

Amanda Borenstadt

My story, "Let Sleeping Werewolves Lie," is in July's Lightning Flash Magazine, Issue 2.

Thanks to the people on the practice list who helped me with this story a while back.


Anita Saran

My flash piece, "The Mysterious Dr Ramsey," is in a print and e-anthology at 6 Sentences. Our Jeanette Cheezum is in the book, too. It was a lovely visual and title prompt and the anthology includes some fabulous pieces. Such talent!


Barry Basden

The June issue of Four and Twenty includes my little poem, "Second Thoughts on Intimacy."

In Between Altered States has published "Let's Face the Music," starring Carly, our very own little yellow Lab.

My poem, "Adrift on a Black Sea," is up on Opium Poetry.

Foundling Review has published my flash story, W.P.A.

Thanks to everyone who helped make it better, especially Wayne, who cautioned, less is more.


Florence Cardinal

My article, "Insomnia and Your Heath" is up at Health Central.



Jan Bridgeford-Smith

My article, "America's Might On Display," was just published in the current issue of The History Channel Magazine. Thank you, Practice list members, for all you've taught me about writing!


Jason Warden

My story "Assimilation," which was first seen on the fiction list, has been selected for the "From the Darkside" Charity Anthology which will benefit the Letters and Light organization which helps promotes literacy in children and adults.

The anthology is slated to come out July 9th on Amazon and Smashwords for $4.99 as an e-book in all formats. Depending on its success, there may be a follow up print edition. I have more information about it on my blog.

I received several critiques on it and many that were helpful, so thanks to all of you.


Joanna M. Weston

I've signed the contract for my middle reader, Frame and the McGuire, with TradeWind Books of Vancouver, B.C.

I'm one happy camper, and many thanks to the Writing listers who critted a very early draft.

My poem, "On the tracks," is up at Gloom Cupboard.


Jody Ewing

Staff from Des Moines' WHO-TV Channel 13 recently came to my home to conduct interviews with my mother and me regarding my stepfather's unsolved homicide, as well as discuss other Iowa cold cases for a series of stories to air during July's sweeps.

On Thursday, July 1, WHO-TV's Aaron Brilbeck reported on the first in the series -- the 5-year-anniversary of the disappearance and murder of 5-year-old Evelyn Miller.

On Thursday, July 8, Aaron reported on the unsolved disappearance of Des Moines Register paperboy Eugene Martin, 13, who went missing on August 12, 1984.

WHO-TV will feature the 3rd in the series on Thursday, July 15, and then on Thursday, July 22, Aaron Brilbeck will conclude the sweeps with his in-depth feature on my stepfather, Earl Thelander.

In preparation for WHO-TV's "teasers" that are advertising Earl's upcoming story throughout July, I rewrote and greatly expanded -- switching for the first time in a case summary from third-person to first-person narrative -- Earl's case summary, "A Nation's First," for the Iowa Cold Cases website. A large part of the rewrite/addition involved defining/explaining a number of Iowa codes affecting Earl's case and how they all interlinked to create a case of murder in the first degree.


Loretta Russell

This article in Mountain Echo was 30 years in the making and I am proud of my husband for being the one to bring it about with his boss.


Margaret A. Frey

Barry Basden has seen fit to publish one of my on-going flash pieces, "The Eight Day Men," in Camroc Press Review.

Thanks to Barry and the folks at Prose Poetry and the Practice board.


Mark Budman

Mid-American Review took my review of Sudden Fiction Latino anthology. It will appear in the Fall.


Mel Jacob

My latest book reviews are up at SFrevu.com and Gumshoe Review.

At SFrevu.com:

The Apex Book of World SF by Lavie Tidhar -- Features writers of speculative fiction from outside the U.S. Some have been published in the U.S., while others have appeared primarily in their countries of origin. The stories are mixed, but generally dark in tone and some verge on horror.

The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, Book 3) by Mark Chadbournm -- The concluding volume of the trilogy The Dark Age, The Hounds of Avalon, draws characters from all the books in both the Age of Misrule and this trilogy. Mark Chadbourn delivers an exciting climax. The five Brothers and Sisters of Dragons struggle against the forces of evil, and fight the Void in its relentless march to destroy all living things.

The Unit by Terry DeHart -- A family of father, mother, daughter and son struggle to find safety in a world gone mad. Major cities lost, anarchy, and roving gangs create a post apocalyptic environment. Avoiding death and finding a place of safety propel the family on a journey without a certain destination.

At Gumshoereview.com:

The Drowning River: A Mystery in Florence by Christobel Kent -- Readers who like a leisurely read and a tour of Florence, Italy will find both in Christobel Kent's new mystery, The Drowning River. An elderly man walks into the river Arno and drowns. A young English girl named Ronnie disappears without a word to her friends. These events eventually become crimes as Sandro Celleni, a disgraced former police officer and now a private investigator, answers the plea of the man's widow to solve his apparent suicide.

The Magician's Accomplice: A Commander Jana Matinova Investigation by Michael Genelin -- The third Jana Matinova mystery has her traveling to The Hague to serve in Europol. A police commander in Bratislava, she is devastated by the death of her lover, Peter Saris, a prosecutor in the attorney general's office. Peter had been investigating corruption cases. She is forbidden to investigate his death.


Mona Leeson Vanek

I have now 59 published "Advice From The Pros" articles at the Writer Insider Tips blog.

My courtesy of sending e-mails to let web owners know I've linked them (and asking if they can link me) resulted two valuable links so far: The International Food Wine and Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA) linked my Travel Writing article on their website, and Traveler Writers Exchange linked my "Access The World And Write Your Way To $$$" on their site under their Travel Writers Resources.


Roger Poppen

My story "On the Origins of Springtime" appears in the microfiction section of this month's Long Story Short.

Thanks to folks in Practice-w who commented on it.


Sue Ellis

My poem is up in the July issue of The Shine Journal.

I also have a book review of Song of the Crow by Layne Maheu up this month at The Internet Review of Books. I think you'll be able to tell how much I liked it. Thanks to Ruth for her input on this, for knowing which word I mean.


Tom Mahony

My story, "Twenty Bucks" is up at The Legendary.


Wayne Scheer

One of my favorite old stories, "Renewal," is up at Everyday Fiction. I don't know how many times I've revised this story, but I'd still like to take it back and rewrite the opening sentence.

My story, "An Orderly Life," is up at Ken*Again.

"Nature Lessons," a piece I began at Practice a long time ago, is up at Poor Mojo's Almanac.

A story I wrote for Practice recently, "The Photograph," is up at Pittsburgh Flash Fiction Gazette.

My nonfiction essay, "Magic," is up at Apollo's Lyre. Thanks again to Practice.

My story, "A Good Woman," written with the Practice group, has been accepted at Everyday Fiction.

My story, "Christmas at the Post Office," has been accepted for an anthology of Christmas stories, titled The Christmas Spirit, to be published by St. Martin's Press.

I also just sold a flash, "Good Memories," to Golden Visions Magazine. This one is for their online magazine. I already sold a longer story, "Cloning Clark," to their print magazine. These stories are slated for their October issue.

Finally, a new publication, Referential Magazine, has accepted my story, "The Love Song of Langley Moran." This magazine's gimmick is to publish poems, stories and photographs that refer to other works of art. My story refers to T.S. Eliot's poem, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." It's scheduled for publication sometime in the future.

------------------

No comments: