Monday, April 11, 2011

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to break through into the publishing world and find success in all venues.

Congratulations to all for your latest batch of bylines, with special kudos going out to member Bill Backstrom, who just celebrated his first acceptance and publication.

Jody
------------------

Bill Backstrom

My micro fiction, "A Short Walk," is in the April edition of A Long Story Short. This is my first acceptance and I am thrilled.

Thanks to the workshop and everyone who critted it when I first tested this story. And thanks to everyone who told me to "just hang in there."


Barry Basden

Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal,  has published "A Pallbearer for Aunt Madge" --partly truth and partly fiction.

Thanks to those who helped with it, especially Wayne Scheer for his idea about a better ending.

I'm terrible with prompts, but Negative Suck will publish in its May issue an old piece I reworked.

Should you wish to try, you have until April 20.

The California Writers Club's April issue of In Focus has reprinted two short pieces. Thanks to editor Kathy Highcove for the searing illustration she found for "Saved."

Click on the latest PDF and scroll down to page 12.


Jeannette de Beauvoir

My geocaching book is now available as an ebook. Download a sample for free!


Mark Budman

My article in the local press is here.


Peg Frey

I get to join Jacki R. with a yahoo for the April issue of Foliate Oak with my flash, "The Art of Resistance."

Thanks once again to everyone who made crits and comments, members of Practice-w and Prose-P. Always makes a difference!


Dawn Goldsmith

A piece I wrote a few years ago has found a new home at The Writer. The check arrived today and the piece will appear in the June 2011 issue.

I'm also writing on a fairly regular basis for The Quilter and still reviewing books each month for Clarion.


Mel Jacob

I have the following book reviews up at SFREVu.com:

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin) by Daniel Abraham

Skeleton Crew by Cameron Haley

Equations of Life (Samuil Petrovitch) by Simon Morden

The following book reviews are up at Gumshoereview.com:

Murder at the Villa Byzantine: An Antonia Darcy and Major Payne Investigation by R.T. Raichev

Shadows of a Down East Summer: An Antique Print Mystery by Lea Wait

Stolen Lives: A Jade de Jong Investigation Set in South Africa by Jassy Mackenzie


Elaine Moore

My little story, "Daddy's Girl," is up at 50 Word Stories.

Foliate Oak Literary Journal informs me that my poem, "Imaginary Friend," will appear in their print anthology in May.

My new flash fiction story, "Acceptance," will appear in the June edition of Appollo's Lyre. This has been a great week!

Four and Twenty informs me they've accepted my short-form poem, "Hidden" for their April edition.

My poem, "Writer" is up at The Camel Saloon.

My photo of Cannon Beach, Oregon, and my flash piece, "Transcendence" appear today in the special Bella edition of The Camel Saloon. I'm between half and three quarters down, if you visit the link.


Mona Leeson Vanek

John Mark Ockerbloom, Editor, The Online Books Page, told me my books, Behind These Mountains, vols. 1, 2 & 3 (print books) are already listed in the Library of Congress and in dozens of library catalogs, and that no doubt the digitized revised versions soon will be. Tonight John will publish the listing on The Online Books web site, which reaches one million listings! I feel honored.

When the newspaper serving this region folded a year or so ago the area was left without a public "voice." Frustrated because "word of mouth" excludes so many from knowing what's going on, I took action and created a blog to fill the void. Whether it will become what I envision remains to be see. However, The North Palouse Washington e-Newscast went live April 8, 2011. My goal is to provide a venue for local news.


Pauline Micciche

My short story "Communion" has been accepted for publication in Fiction 365. I do not know yet when it will be published. It's my first paying market.

My flash story "Suprise" has been accepted for publication in Negative Suck.


Sarah Morgan

I am pleased to announce that Four and Twenty has accepted my piece "The Migrants" for their April edition, dedicated to National Poetry Month.

I will share the pages with IWW's Elaine Moore, so I'm in good company.


Roger Poppen

My flash piece, "The Deal," is up at the Cynic Online Magazine.

Thanks to folks on Practice who critted this.


Judith Quaempts

The Cynic has accepted my short story, "His Brother's Keeper," for its May issue.


Jacquelynn Rasmenia Massoud

My flash piece, "Rotting Daisy," has been published in the April issue of Foliate Oak and is now online.

Thank you to everyone in practice as well as the fiction list who critiqued this one.


Adrienne Ross Scanlan

"Nisqually Fish Fling" won Third Prize in the 2011 Tiny Light's Annual Essay Contest.  "Nisqually Fish Fling" is (or will be) one of the chapters in my (nearly finished) book, Turning Homeward: Restoring Nature in the Urban Wild.

For information about the contest and a list of all 2011 winners, visit the above website.


Bob Sanchez

iUniverse is featuring my first novel, When Pigs Fly, in its bookstore for the month of April.


Anita Saran

I'm sure you will love my friend Minoo's blog: Life Strategies for those with their hands tied behind their backs. She writes impeccable English and her blogs are always interesting and profound. We spent 20 years together as best friends before she moved to California with her baby. Do check out my piece, "Fresh Perspective on Pets" (she asked me to guest blog) and her excellent posts. She was a great copywriter and in fact my Copy Chief for some time.


Wayne Scheer

My story, "Prairie Flower," has been bought by Fiction 365.

Fiction 365 is unique, not just because they pay, but because the author responds promptly, usually within two weeks, and with specific reasons why he liked or didn't like a story.

My flash, "Upon Reflection," has been accepted at Stanley the Whale. The editor estimates my story will be up late  May to early June.  "Upon Reflection" began as a Practice exercise, so thanks go to the group.

A nonfiction account of my stupidity, "My Left Foot," (an original title, eh?) is up at Eric's Hysterics.

This piece was originally written with Practice, so my thanks go to them.


Pat St. Pierre

A short poem was accepted by Three Line Poetry.

My poem, "The Green Shuttered Cape," is listed as a finalist for the Mattia 14 International Poetry Contest. They usually receive around 1000 poems.

Thanks to everyone for their critiques.

The Camel Saloon has just published a tribute to one of Russ' favorite poets who passed away last year:  Bella Akhmadulina. Today is her birthday. The work was from various women artists around the world.

Please take a minute to read the issue. I'm priveledged to be in such company with my poem, "The Unpredictable Sea" (toward the end of issue).


Celestine Stoltenberg

My review of Paul Farber's Mixing Races is up on the Internet Review of Books. Many thanks to the non-fiction group for their great input. Also thanks to the editors who are really great to work with.

No comments: