Monday, May 16, 2011

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody
------------------

Barry Basden

"Day Shift" is up at 6 Sentences, without semicolons.

For a lot of reasons, it makes me think of Paul.

"Why My Grandfather Had All Those Bessie Smith Records" is the shortest piece in the May issue of Pank magazine.

Thanks to all who helped me pare it down.

---

Mark Budman

"The King Died," which was critiqued here, is now up at Bound Off.

It's a 3.5 min from the start. Bound Off pays $20.

---

Loretta Carrico-Russell

My review of "Beating Melanoma" for the Internet Review of Books is up. Please check it out, especially if you use a tanning booth.

---

Alice Folkart

One of the editors of Loch Raven Review saw some of my work on Perfect Day 4 Poetry (also known as the House of 30 - a poem a day forum) and requested these three for the Review.

Hope you enjoy them.

---

Rhonda Gill

My short story, "Half Full Circle," was selected for the current edition of Amarillo Bay. It's live on their site.

---

Sherry Gloag

Details for my "Trip Around the World: Mega Author Blog Hop: Ticket to Paradise!" contest is now up at Sherry Gloag: The Heart of Romance. It's all about the background scenery in my latest novel, Duty Calls, as seen through my heroine's eyes.

---

Ann Hite

Here’s the first of two book trailers Ghost On Black Mountain will have. Enjoy.

---

Charles Hobbs

A few weeks ago, I posted a comment on Metrolink's (Southern California commuter train service) Facebook page regarding their new express train service.

What a surprise I got when Metrolink put my comment on the front page of their Metrolink Matters on-board newsletter. This publication is distributed on all the trains, and is also available online.

My comment (under Charles P. H.) is on the front page, upper right hand corner.

---

Pepper O'Neal

My new book, Blood Fest: Chasing Destiny, was published by Black Opal Books the first of May, and I've signed a contract with them for the second book in the series, which I still have to write.

---

Roger Poppen

My story, "Waffle House," was published May 7 by Fiction 365.

You can see a picture of the bike that inspired the story here.

Based on my 1996 biography of Joseph Wolpe, I've been asked to participate in the BBC radio series, Mind Changers, which tells "the stories of the people and experiments that have changed our understanding of the human mind." (Wolpe being the 'mind changer,' not I.) It will be several months before this segment is aired.

If you are writing about psychological issues (and who isn't?), the BBC series is an excellent resource.

---

Jacquelynn Rasmenia Massoud

My story, "Mirror" has been accepted at Metazen and is now online.

Thanks to everyone in practice and also in fiction who gave me feedback on this piece!

---

Catherine Robinson

I've been announced as a finalist in the Society of Professional Journalists awards in the Humorous Commentary category.

As always, wouldn't have had the nerve to pursue commentary gigs without the support of critters and posters here. So thank you!

---

Adrienne Ross Scanlan

My creative nonfiction essay, "One Jew's Confession at Notre Dame," appears in Drash: Northwest Mosaic, volume 5. Drash is an annual literary journal which publishes prose, poetry and photographs on Jewish or northwest themes (print publication only).

---

Wayne Scheer

My story, "Prairie Flower," is up at Fiction365.

My creative nonfiction piece, "Hope Springs Eternal," will be published in the June issue of Flashquake.  I have a recent Practice exercise to thank for this one.

---

Pat St. Pierre

Three of my "tiny" poems were accepted by Three Line Poetry and are now online in Issue 3.

My poetry book "Theater of Life" is now listed on The Camel Saloon's Bookstore.

---

Paul Stenquist

Since my first work for the New York Times almost two years ago, I've become a regular contributor on the web and in the paper. Most of my assignments have been relatively easy, but the one I just completed was very taxing, so I think a yahoo is in order. It's the story of a one-off prototype automobile built sixty years ago. Very little was written about it, and only one person who was on hand is still alive, so deep research was necessary.  But the car is notable, because it was designed by Brooks Stevens, so the pursuit of the story was worthwhile. It will be on the lead page of the Automotive section in Sunday's paper, and it's on the web now.

I was also asked to add a brief sidebar about Brooks Stevens.

---

Jason Warden

A flash story of mine, "Words Unsaid," has been accepted by Fiction365 and will run sometime next month. For it I will be paid $10. Woot!!

No comments: