Tuesday, August 16, 2011

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members are having a scorching summer with a number of publishing successes in all venues. Congratulations to our latest crew!

Jody

------------------

Barry Basden

"We Are Busy Sewing the Flags of Our Children" has been published in the Summer Issue of Corium Magazine.

I appreciate when critiques tell me what doesn't work. Otherwise my little flashes could never be all they can be. Thanks so much.

"Recall" is in the August issue of Four and Twenty. It's on page 21 of the PDF you can download for free.

~

Peter Bernhardt

Who knows how long it will last, but based on critiques received, the opening chapters of "Teya's Kiss" broke into the top ten chart on youwriteon.com. I hope to make it to the top five by the end of the month, which means a professional review and admittance to the site's bestseller chart, a feat "The Stasi File" accomplished in 2009.

~

Jan Bridgeford-Smith

As far as I can tell, two of my short stories, "Train Ride 2001" and "Stewed" are available for download through the Apple App Store thanks to acceptance through Ether Books.

Received word yesterday that a piece I wrote on a "lost and found" Lincoln speech will run in the November/December issue of American History Magazine.

Got an email that another article on the Junior Republic Movement, a radical approach to juvenile reform during the Progressive Era, will run in the winter issue of History Magazine.

Both of the editors I worked with have been delightful.

My short story, "Garden Bounty," will be included in the online magazine 6Tales, December 2011 edition. I first subbed a version of the piece on the Practice List--as always, the feedback I got from the group was invaluable. Thanks!

~

Rick Bylina

My debut novel - One Promise Too Many - is now available on Smashwords and on Amazon in both paperback and ebook format.

~

Mark Budman

"Off With His Head" was accepted by One Buck Horror. It's a paying market.

This story was critiqued here. Thank you everyone for critiquing it.

~

Mira Desai

My article, "What Can India and America Accomplish Together?" has been published with the US Dept. of State.

~

Sue Ellis

A reprint of the essay I wrote about my years as a rural mail carrier is up at Mona Vanek's Local Voices blogspot. It originally appeared at Christian Science Monitor.

If you haven't fully explored Mona's site make sure to visit Behind These Mountains, Mona's out of print historical work. Luckily for us, it lives on at her blog. I was able to find the book at the local library last year and really enjoyed the eye-witness accounts of the massive forest fire that raged through Montana years ago. The vintage photos she had gathered were a treat in themselves. Firefighters from all over the Northwest lost their lives battling the blaze. I understand Mona is currently working to download the photos to her blog, so check in from time to time to keep pace with her progress.

And finally, my book review of You Believers by Jane Bradley is up at Internet Review of Books. The book grabbed me at hello and I couldn't put it down. It's about criminal abduction and its aftermath.

~

Lynne Hinkey

The Internet Review of Books has posted a review of Marina Melee!

Thanks, Bob and everyone at IRB for providing such a wonderful web site.

~

Kristen Howe

I've published my Chasing the Night mini book review article.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out at the Nfiction list. You guys are the best.

~

Mel Jacob

I have the following book reviews up at SFRevu.com:

Angel of Europa by Allen Steele

Germline (The Subterrene War) by T.C. McCarthy

The Unincorporated Woman by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin

The Watchtower by Lee Carroll

The following book reviews are up at GumshoeReview.com:

Truth: A Novel by Peter Temple

I also just sold another Halloween short. It is to come out with others October 21 and also be added to the anthology.

~

Guilie Castillo Oriard

Last week an online contest in the Clarity of Night blog awarded my entry (250 words) an honorable mention. It was apparently also a high scorer in the Readers' Choice voting. Contest Results

I'm proud as can be about this, because the other entries (all 101 of them) were fantastic. I hope you take the time to visit the site and take a look at the entries; most were great, and some absolutely fantastic.

Thank you, Mira, for pointing me in this direction!

~

Gary Presley

My essay, "Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Me," appears on the Fringe Magazine blog. It was disqualified from a regular issue because I've already been published in Fringe this year.

~

Catherine Robinson

My full column is available from last week's Creative Loafing. It's about the differences and similarities between North and South Tampa. Don't these divisions exist in every town? Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Here's my column from yesterday's Tampa Tribune about how our forties are as good as it gets.

For those of you familiar with Tampa, perhaps you'd vote for me (and at least 19 other faves) for Best Columnist and Best CL Contributor?

~

Bob Sanchez

Came home from a long weekend away and found four (!) writing-related checks in the mail. The amounts are modest, but they made my day.

~

Wayne Scheer

My story, "Where Are You Now, Charming Billy?" is up at Dew on the Kudzu.  Scroll down to July 22.

My short story, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," will be published in the January or July 2012 edition of Still Crazy.  Still Crazy is a print magazine about people over fifty designed to appeal to boomers.

"Starting Over" is up at Fiction365.  This short story was critiqued at Fiction a long while ago.

"The Transition" has been accepted at Eunoia Review for their March 2012 issue.  I guess I'll have to wait patiently.  This flash originally began in Practice.

~

Murray Snow

The Northwest Herald sent out a reporter and photographer to interview me for my novel, On Guard For Thee.

This was my first interview for the book.

~

Pat St. Pierre

Fiction365 accepted my flash fiction, "Lovers Forever."  The editor is wonderful to work with.

The Front Porch Review accepted a photo of mine, "Autumn in New Hampshire," for their October issue.

~

Mona Leeson Vanek

MontanaHistory.net linked the books I put online this year -- my three-volume Montana regional history series. Site-owner Bruce Gourley said, "Behind These Mountains is truly a wonderful resource to have available online!"

~

Joanna M. Weston

I have a blog (at last) thanks to a dear friend who helped me set it up. I'm cheering about it! And yes, there's poetry there.

I have a haiku in Mu, Issue 2. On the left-hand side, scroll down to page 2.

~

Michael Wright

My story "City Canyons" is today's selection at Fiction365.

There are a couple of typos you'll have to read past (doggie should be dogie, e.g.) and lots of missing punctuation. But hey.


No comments: