Monday, September 12, 2011

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

If you regularly read the Internet Writing Workshop's blog, you may have asked yourself (once or twice), "How can so many writers from one workshop get so lucky with publishing success?"

I liken it to the Fred and Ginger phenomenon.

Think of SUBS (submissions) and CRITS (critiques) as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. They work together seamlessly, picking up cues here and better movements there. They know there's a time to take several small steps, and there's also a time to stop, listen, and pay attention before finally taking that last graceful leap.

Would Ginger have soared without Fred? Perhaps. Chances are, however, she'd still have practiced and polished her skills by working with another like-minded dancer who understood her rhythm.

There is a time to lead and teach, and a time to be led and learn. Only then can one truly rock.

Oh, and lest we forget -- the heart-singing success we all desire will always be built on a much stronger foundation than luck.

Please take a moment to read through some of the articles, stories, poems and more listed below, and then join me in congratulating our latest group of Gingers and Freds.

Jody

------------------

G.K. Adams

The Midwest Literary Magazine gave an MLM Distinction Award for Fiction to my story, “The Trout” (Februrary 2011). It was critiqued here. Thank you for the valuable help.

"The Trout" is toward the end, page 108. Use the boxes at the bottom to navigate.

~~~

Michael Baird

"The People Who Sell Free Things" was accepted and is now up at Eric's Hysterics.

~~~

Barry Basden

Fiction365 published my story "Puppies" September 2.

With a couple of paragraphs a tad malformed....

~~~

Rick Bylina

I know IWW people are scattered everywhere, but I'd be remiss if I didn't invite anyone in IWW who is local to my area (Apex, NC) to the Book Launch Party on October 15, 2011 from 5 - 8 p.m. If'n you think you can make it and want more details, email me.

One of the acknowledgements in my book:

* The Internet Writing Workshop writers, who cajoled me to write better, tighter, and smarter, so that my stories did not stink.

Now on to the next novel and the next and the next. I'm coming Donald Maass. You can't keep that door shut forever.

If'n you can't make it, there's always the Caribbean Cruise with the launch of my 10th novel in 2016. :-)

~~~

Beth Camp

Just a note to say Fiction365 has my short "Fire Sisters" up today.

Thank you, PRACTICE writers and readers.

I'm still getting a glow. May your own writing go well.

~~~

Karna Converse

From former member Karna Converse: I'm starting my second year of writing for the Literary Mama blog. Three Tuesdays a month, I post a "For Your Journal" writing prompt to encourage readers to journal about their family and parenting experiences. I posted three of my favorites from last year on my blog but you can find more at Literary Mama. Type “For Your Journal” in the Search box for a complete list; there are 30 so far!

~~~

Sue Ellis

I've just had an essay accepted for the first issue, which will come out in December, of Lady Ink Magazine. They also accepted a flash fiction piece, "Chasing Night Trains," for a flash fiction blog they intend to unveil in October.

The story began at Practice, migrated to Fiction, and sat in my files for a very long time until I recently figured out how to end it. I found them among the listings of 'what's new' at Duotrope this week. I often go there to see if something I have in my files is a fit for any of the new ezines.

~~~

Paul Fein

I am pleased to inform you that in the annual United States Tennis Writers' Association Writing Contest, I received a 1st Place award and a 2nd Place award in the "Service Story" category.

I greatly appreciate the many insightful and meticulous critiques from our IWW members that improved my articles and helped me win these awards.

* Admin Note: The following is excerpted from the official press release.

Eleven writers honored at U.S. Open for winning entries in the 12th annual United States Tennis Writers' Association Writing Contest

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEPT. 7, 2011

Flushing Meadows, N.Y.—Just before quarterfinal matches got under way at the 2011 U.S. Open, the press corps assembled in the media center to present awards to 11 writers whose work placed in the 12th Annual USTWA Writing Contest.

The esteemed judging panel was compromised of Robin Blackburn, former longtime director of Columbia University's National Magazine Awards and avid player; Mary Conti, a fan and player who works in marketing communications; Darrell Fry, a former sports journalist and WTA Tour staff member who is Sports Media Director for Disney; and Vicki Salemi, a book author and journalist who plays league tennis.

The winners of the 12th annual USTWA Writing Contest, for work published in 2010, are:

SERVICE STORY

1. Paul Fein’s "The Importance of Momentum in Tennis," on TennisOne.com
Judges say: "Whether manufactured or spontaneous, momentum can make or break the player. The writer explores all facets of momentum and its omnipresence."

2. Paul Fein’s "Defend and Conquer" in Tennis Magazine (Australia)

3. Cindy Cantrell’s “Fit for a King” in USTA Championship Magazine

Click Here to View Winners in All Categories

First- and second-place winners received awards engraved with their names; third-place honorees received personalized certificates suitable for framing.

Please visit www.USTWA.org for membership details and more.

~~~

Sherry Gloag

I have just received the cover pic today for my upcoming novella From Now Until Forever published by Astraea Press.

~~~

Mel Jacob

I have the following book reviews up at www.sfrevu.com:

  • Into the Hinterlands by David Drake and John Lambshead 
  • Prospero Regained (Prospero's Daughter) by L. Jagi Lamplighter 
  • Wayfinder by C.E. Murphy  

The following book reviews are up at www.Gumshoereview.com:
  • Quickstep to Murder: A Ballroom Dance Mystery, by Ella Barrick 
  • Sleight of Paw: A Magical Cats Mystery by Sofie Kelly  
  • Trick of the Dark by Val McDermid  
  • A Mortal Terror: A Billy Boyle World  War II Mystery by James R. Benn
  • Calling Mr. King by Ronald De Feo
~~~

Marge Hamill

I have received a contract for my memoir, A Christmas Tree and Two Small Candles. It is scheduled to be published in the Jan. 2012 issue of Looking Back Magazine.

~~~

Ann Hite

Ghost On Black Mountain was reviewed by Sue Ellis for the Internet Review of Books. I’m so proud to be on the receiving end this time. Also, I’m honored to be one one of the last great reviews for this publication.

~~~

Ellen Kombiyil

I just received word that Cider Press Review has accepted my poem "Aubade of the Artificial Dawn" for Volume 13, forthcoming in about six months. This is a market I've been eying for a while and I'm thrilled. The poem was critiqued on Poetry-W about two years ago -- then I had to let it stew before I could finish it. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions to bring it to its final form.

I also found out over the weekend that Feathertale Review, a print publication from Canada that only publishes humorous work (stories, poetry, cartoons), will be republishing my poem "After Drinking Too Much Wine" in their forthcoming Anthology -- a book of poetry commemorating Feathertale Review's last five years. The book will have a small print run, then be available on the market as an electronic download. I'm so pleased to have made the cut!

~~~

Mona Leeson-Vanek

Thanks to Sue Ellis' Yahoo, I Googled and came up with the subject for a good post for MontanaScribbler.com; "Let Duotrope Help You Locate New Markets" went live yesterday. Excerpts:

"Keeping abreast of fiction and poetry markets is an ongoing challenge where Duotrope can help."

You get an idea of the opportunities from a comment in Duotrope's August Month-In-Review: "Last month, we added 121 new listings and made 2,704 market listing updates. Bookmark the site and visit weekly."

There was a scary little piece in the New York Times business section today. I followed a link in the article (Medill School of Journalism), and within the hour I wound up publishing "Keeping Your Property Deed Secure ..." in The North Palouse Washington, e-Newscast.

Thanks, Myra. I couldn't have written it without your post and the linked information it led to. The idea had simmered for months, ever since I'd read a warning in our insurance company newsletter about property deed theft. You provided the nudge in the right direction.

~~~

Gary Presley

For some reason, I think about the subject of food regularly even though I try to hold the calorie count to fewer than 1,000 a day.

"The Accidental Vegetarian" has been published in Bluestem Magazine.

~~~

Catherine Robinson

Here's my latest column from Canyon News. Hope you like it!
And a few more published tidbits from this past week:
~~~

Bob Sanchez

Mysterious Writers has published a Q & A between author Jean Henry Mead (doing the Q) and me (doing the A). If you'd stop by and leave a comment, that would make this an even bigger yahoo.

~~~

Wayne Scheer

My short story, "A Change of Heart," was published in Fiction365 September 10.






No comments: