Tuesday, September 27, 2011

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody

------------------

Barry Basden

"Shoelaces" is live at Atticus Review.

Thanks to everyone who helped with it.

Apollo's Lyre has reprinted "Reynolds and Me" in their September 2011 Issue.

Thanks again to those who helped with it a few years ago.

My 30-word story, "Scope," has been accepted by Safety Pin Review. Someday soon they will paint it on fabric and people will wear it pinned to their clothes for a week and see what happens. Pictures will be taken and posted.

But I doubt it will get the exposure of "Ray Drove the Highways," an even shorter Google ad story for a week. It came up in 3720 google searches, the highest of that week's lot.

So I guess we're number 1. :-)

Folks definitely seem to be having fun with this writing thing. I know I am.

~~~

Peg Frey

Happy to announce my flash "On the Last Day" will join Pat's yahoo at Ken*Again.

In addition, The Birmingham Arts Journal will be publishing "The Story We Never Tell" in their next issue.

Apollo's Lyre will publish "The First Shattering Round" sometime this weekend.

And finally, Foliate Oak has accepted my prose poem "Blood of My Own, Blood of a Crooked Moon," for their next issue. This piece is small tribute to Susana Chavez, a poet/activist murdered in Juarez this past January. I'm glad the piece has finally found a good home.

~~~

Sherry Gloag

Please join me at The Heart of Romance blog this week where I am blogging about the origins of Corn Dollies and offering a great prize to one commenter.

~~~

Dawn Goldsmith

It is a rare time. Two editors have contacted me to write for them and they're paying me a decent wage AND it is writing about topics I enjoy. AND it could be an ongoing gig in respected print magazines!

Plus, I'm writing my Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles blog again and was asked to review a movie, which I did. It led to a nice discussion of traditional vs art quilts.

~~~

Mel Jacob

I've now done my second copy edit for Melange and the publisher plans to include mention of me among the editors. I focus on grammar, punctuation, and clarity while not changing the author's voice. Interesting process. So far, I'm working on short pieces.

~~~

Mona Leeson-Vanek

Today, "Internet Writing Workshop calling all writers ... " went live at The North Palouse Washington e-Newscast and also on Montana Scribbler.

~~~

Tom Mahony

Here's the first review of my second novel, Flooding Granite, scheduled for release on October 1.

~~~

Guilie Castillo Oriard

Looks like the first issue of Lady Ink magazine will be full of IWW work; an excerpt of the novel I'm currently polishing (Restoring Experience) has been accepted for their December issue. Gulp.

Extreme and undying gratitude goes to everyone here that has helped -- in whatever capacity -- to shape this into being.

~~~

Catherine Robinson
Here are some pieces for your enjoyment:

I made it to finalist as Best Contributor for Creative Loafing's Best of the Bay Readers Poll, and did win Best Blogger for Lifestyle and Family blogs from CBS Tampa. So that's something.

~~~

Anita Saran

Long held dream true at last. Last weekend I taught my ad copywriting course at the premises of India's leading newspaper - The Times of India. Just three students to begin with but enough cash for the month. They loved it. Two whole days. I'm amazed that I was not at all nervous. Must be my spiritual practice and recently my involvement with Tai Chi and Chigong. I think the secret of being comfortable teaching is to get students involved right away. I presented them with ads to evaluate.

I'll be getting testimonials from my students and I've been told that I can run this weekend workshop every month. My belief that cutting out headlines from ads and asking students to fill them in by studying the body copy and visual was an innovative idea was confirmed. They also loved the films I showed them on 
advertising.

~~~

Adrian Ross Scanlan

I'm pleased to say that my essay "In Praise of Weeds (Sort of)" is up at Earthspeak, Issue 8.

~~~

Wayne Scheer

My story, "Doing God's Work," is up at Eric's Hysterics. This is a good site for humorous stories and essays.

~~~

Pat St. Pierre

Three of my Halloween photos have been included in the Fall issue of Ken*Again. Find them under "Art."

Just received another flash fiction acceptance for November from the Long Story Short. Will supply link when published.

No comments: