Thursday, December 20, 2012

IWW Members' Publishing Successes

Internet Writing Workshop members continue to find publishing success in all venues. Congratulations to this week's crew!

Jody

---

Jackie Arnett, writing under Sherry Gloag

I've just been told Vidal's Honor has been nominated for Romance of the year! So, I'm hoping/asking for your vote/support. I really would like to get somewhere with this, as Vidal's Honor has become very special to me. It was commissioned, and because I found it hard to get started I ended up with an eight week window in which to get going and have it edited, and submitted. I almost gave up on it at least three times.

Here is the info as it was sent to me, along with the link. Vidal's Honor is near the bottom, so please ask your friends to scroll down the list until they get to Vidal's Honor. Many thanks.

Voting for "Romance of the Year 2012" is open at Deep In the Heart Romance. Be sure to send your readers and fans to this link so they can place their vote. Complete details are listed along with the prize that is up for grabs. Contest ends Dec. 31, 2012.


Jeannette de Beauvoir

Here's my "other" Yahoo, that I can make public now (well, as of yesterday, but I couldn't bring myself to even think about rejoicing in the wake of children getting murdered in Connecticut) ...

Though I still find it difficult to believe, my collection of poetry, Seven Times to Leave, is the winner of the 2013 Mary Ballard Poetry Prize. I don't really consider myself a poet, so I was thrilled to be both a semi-finalist and then a finalist, much less even think of winning. The Casey Shay Press will be publishing the book in mid-March.

Here's what the judge, Fred Marchant, writes about it:

"The poems in Seven Times to Leave bring us into the intimate violence of abusive relationships. Sometimes the violence is physical, the shove or menacing fist or worse. At other times it arises out of sexism and the acted-out belief that a man can exercise power and control over a woman’s life. Then there are the more subtly dangerous ways in which, for any number of reasons, a person might persist in an emotionally damaging relationship, regardless of the cost. Beyond the sheer anatomy of abuse and its consequences, Seven Times to Leave simultaneously presents us with survivors’ tales, stories that teach us the strength of mind and courage of soul that the recovery from such trauma requires. These unflinching, brave poems remind us that above all we must keep alive our capacity to love, or else we die somewhere deep within."

One or two of the poems were critiqued in the poetry workshop a few years back, so thank you to the IWW for that! I'll be donating the royalties to Independence House, an agency on Cape Cod that provides services to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.


Sue Ellis

I'm up today at Fiction 365, with "January to May," and promised ten dollars. Thank you, Fiction, for your help with editing this one.

And Midnight Rising, a Tony Horwitz book I reviewed, is getting a second look at Bob Sanchez's blog, a place I am very happy to be.


Pam Floyd Hauck

My short piece about learning to walk again, titled "Baby Steps," will be included in an e-book anthology on words that inspire.

This was my first experience with responding to a call to submissions on Facebook. It was beneficial to be in a FB group with the editor and read her responses to questions asked about the publication. It was also insightful to see how much work is involved in the submission process.


John Hayes

Autumn 2012 issue of Shelter of Daylight published my poem, "Alien Lover."


Lynne Hinkey

My review of Tom Mahony's latest novel, Pacific Offering, is up at the Internet Review of Books.

Still time to order it before Christmas!


Mona Leeson Vanek

Although I haven't updated "Access The World and Write Your Way to $$$," for more than a year, I continue to get feedback that shows good advice stays relevant. "Let's Sit Down and Talk," (c) 2001 -- Phyllis Cambria, was written by a former IWW member. Today I received the following:

"7-1, Freelance and Security": Thanks for the great post on your blog, it really gives me an insight on this topic.


Anita Saran

As a gift to children (and adults), I've uploaded my 7000 word story "Peter Pan & Anahita," on Smashwords for free. It first appeared in my collection of short stories published by a Delhi publisher. It's had about 40 downloads in 4 days and also made it into one 'library'.

Enjoy it free here.


Wayne Scheer

Another story written with the Practice group has found a home. "A Bad Movie" is up at Clever Magazine."

Clever offers no money, but the editor is a pleasure to work with. She publishes fiction, travel, humor, movie reviews and anything else she likes.

My story, "The Long Drive Home," is up at Fiction365. The editor publishes a story a day and pays $10 a story. "The Long Drive Home" was critiqued in Fiction a while back, so thank yous are in order.

No comments: