Monday, July 16, 2007

IWW Members in Print and Published

We have a good crop of success reports this week for members of the
IWW. I'm back to plain old alphabetical order for the present.


Karna Converse:

1) My essay about family reunions was published in The Christian Science
Monitor on July 5. Last fall, lots of folks on NFiction helped me figure out
exactly what I wanted to say -- so Thanks! It was nice to open a week's
worth of vacation mail this morning and see a check :)

If this link doesn't work, go to the Monitor's Home Forum page and search
for Karna. The essay is the first one listed.

CSM pays promptly on publication. (The essay appeared on July 5; the
check was cut on July 5.) The time between this particular essay's
submission and publication was a couple of months. Submissions are
supposed to receive an automatic "got it" reply but technology isn't always
working. But when I sent a short inquiry to the editor, addressing the fact
that I had received automatic replies in the past and didn't here, her reply
was immediate and friendly. CSM does not tell you when the essay will
appear so it's up to the writer to check the website.

2) In my week of vacation mail, I also opened a package from Chicken
Soup
(Celebrating Brothers & Sisters). My ping pong essay about my
brother is one of nine chosen for Chapter 2: We Are Family.

Again, lots of folks on NFiction helped me shape this piece -- so Thanks! I
think my brother will be surprised.

The Chicken Soup folks always have a variety of story needs. The website
maintains an ongoing list. Since I've published a couple of stories with
them, I'm also on a list and receive e-mails about specific needs with
specific e-mail addresses to submit to (as opposed to submitting through
the website).


Ruth Douillette:

Several months ago, I got a message saying my essay was a finalist for
Chicken Soup for the Coffee Lover's Soul. Now I've received notice that
my story, "Caffeine and a Smile," made the final cut. The book will go on
sale this November, "just in time for holiday sales" they inform me.
That should make my Christmas shopping easier. My poor friends who
don't like coffee will have to excuse my choice of gift.


Peg Frey:

Hi All!

Just received word that Thema will be publishing my flash fiction,
"Because History Was Passing," in an upcoming issue. This particular
piece received comments from the folks on the practice board. Thanks to
all who read, commented and made suggestions.

Thema is a tri-annual literary journal, print-only, published out of the
New Orleans area. The journal pays a small honorarium on acceptance.
For those of you who enjoy writing to a prompt, Thema might be a good
choice. The editors accept short stories, flash and poetry and the only
requirement is that the issue's premise be an integral part of your
submission.

Further info can be found here.

Thanks again.


Charles Hightower:

I'm happy to say I won first place in the electric dragon cafe competition
that recently ended. I mentioned this before, but as of today, you can find
the winning entries here.


Louisa Howerow:

Two of my poems, "March Rain" and "My Sister's View of Motherhood
Was Found at the Movies," appear in The Nashwaak Review (Volume
18/19, Spring/Summer 2007).

The Nashwaak Review is published twice a year by St. Thomas University
in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Volume 18-19, a handsome,
perfect bound, 290-page magazine, contains short stories, poetry, essays,
reviews, and travel pieces. The front and back covers feature original
artwork from living Canadian artists.

A look at the cover and more information on the magazine can be found
here.

Click on the volumes to get a list of titles and contributors. Each volume
features sample work.

Thank you to the members of the Poetry group for their help and
encouragement.


Carey Link:

My poem "My Alabama Home" has been accepted for the Alabama
Anthology: Whatever Remembers Us, which will be distributed soon. The
anthology is being published by Negative Capability Press in Mobile, and
is edited by John Chambers and Sue Walker. "My Alabama Home" is also
part of the On-line edition of The Alabama Anthology


Sarah Morgan:

This is my first sale, so for me it is momentous, significant, historic,
noteworthy, and consequential. Hey, can you say Red Letter?

Thanks to all of you people on the Nonfiction List who critted this piece,
originally subbed as "A Lament for Anyplace." Notre Dame Magazine
changed the name but changed very little else.

A special thank you has to go to Gary for his steadfast opinion that the
piece was worth that oh-so-sought-after commodity: money. He
consistently recommended that I not settle for "the lights" when I could
be paid. I feel honored and humbled to share space with him in such a
prestigious publication.

You can find both of our essays at the Notre Dame website. Look for us
under Perspectives.

I have touted IWW to anyone who would listen since I joined last fall
sometime. The exact date escapes me, but the feeling of community support
remains. Thanks to all the great critters out there in IWW land.


Cathy Moser:

IWW folks can read my article appearing in the July/August issue of Wild
Blue Yonder, the in-flight magazine for Frontier Airlines. Check out the
Mavericks department to read about mustang technician Kayla Grams.

Even three of the five photos are mine! Thanks to everyone on the
nonfiction list who critiqued the piece.


Gary Presley:

I do scribble a few rambling lines of essay now and again, when I'm not
roaming the halls of the IWW.

In fact, I like to write. What I don't like to do is to market, to tilt at the
editorial windmills of this world. The folks at Notre Dame Magazine,
though, are pleasant sorts, willing to "say not quite there," and give a guy
another chance.

"The Power at My Fingertips"

I also have an essay titled "Prejudice" in the print magazine New
Mobility, but it's not available on-line.


Monideepa Sahu:

Dear friends,

My short story, "Monsoon," which I workshopped ages ago in the Fiction
List, has finally found a home. Thanks to everyone who helped with this.
Special thanks to Louisa Howerow, who helped me zero in on this market.

It's in Apocalypse Literary Arts Magazine, an annual publication of
Northeastern Illinois University. The latest issue, Vol. 14, is 115 pages,
neatly bound and with colorful artwork on the cover. Contents: plays,
poetry, short fiction, excerpts of longer works, and non academic essays.
Though their guidelines give a 3,000-word limit for prose, they seem to
prefer much shorter pieces, around 1,000 words or so. They respond
within about three months, and are now accepting submissions till March,
2008. Payment in contributor copies. From the guidelines: "All
Manuscripts must be typed and submitted on a CD (for artworks), e-mail
attachment, or through snail-mail. All manuscripts should be submitted in
either .DOC or.RTF format. . . . Please contact the Apocalypse Literary
Arts Coalition via e-mail at alac88@yahoo.com."


Wayne Scheer:

An old story of mine, "Prairie Flower," is up at Brink Magazine.

Thanks to the folks at Fiction for critiquing it.


Marci Stillerman:

My second book, Swimming Lessons, is available on Amazon and
bookstores.

The stories in Swimming Lessons--audacious, poignant, mystical, ferocious
--are about ordinary people, mostly young and female, at a pivotal time in
their lives where there is no turning back and the future is fraught with
ambiguity.

______________________________________________________

No comments: