Monday, May 31, 2021

IWW Members' Publishing Successes


Cezarija E. Abartis

My story “The Crow” is online at MOJO. Thank you, Deepa, Bill LaFond, Mark Budman, Wayne Scheer, Chandrika Radhakrishnan, Mitra Lacaille, Mark Kline, Aaron Troye-White, Eric Petersen, Kristen Howe, and Keith Walker for reading an early draft (many more followed), when it was titled "The Raven" in September 2020. I got a lot of help on this. I'm grateful.

Pamelyn Casto

My essay, A Close Look at Madison Smartt Bell's "The Naked Lady," is live at OPEN: Journal of Arts & Letters. I particularly like the way Bell uses non-standard English and it's also funny and effective the way he uses hyperbole. The two characters in the story are awful but they sure are funny.

Amita Basu

Here are a few pieces I've published in recent months:

My flash story “The Hours” (1000 words) is in Down in the Dirt / Scars Mag, Vol 186 Aug 2021. I submitted this story for critique on IWW a while ago. Very old website design; navigating slightly tricky. In the left column, find my name (names listed alphabetically), click, scroll back to the top; and click on "The Hours" under my name to access the story. They will also be issuing a hard copy of the volume this Aug.

My flash story “Promises” (500 words) is in Toyon Vol 67. Toyon also recorded an audiobook. The recording of my story begins at 14:47. The reading is excellent, but it's funny hearing Indian names pronounced in an American accent :-D) I wrote this soon after the pandemic hit India; it has previously won a tiny prize at Kelp Magazine. Not subbed on IWW.

My short story “Holiday” (2000 words) is in Meet Cute Press Issue #2. My first foray into romance writing. Also not subbed on IWW. Thank you all for your support. I've only been here a few months, but IWW has already made me a better writer.


No comments: