Sunday, August 26, 2007

This week's IWW Practice Exercise~

Prepared by: Florence Cardinal
Reposted on: Sun, 26 Aug 2007
_____________________

Exercise: In 300 words or less, write a scene that includes the physical
description of the viewpoint character while in that character's point of
view. Use first person POV or third person limited POV.
_____________________

The viewpoint character is either the protagonist or simply someone who
tells us the story. How do you draw a clear picture of the viewpoint
character? Letting the character see a reflection in a mirror or store
window (or even a pool of water) is overdone and frowned upon by many
editors and publishers.

Try to be subtle; slip in the description while remaining in the first
person or third person limited POV. We're looking for a "snapshot" of the
viewpoint character. Here are some examples:

Example #1: First Person:

I spent an hour fixing my hair before Ricardo came. He told me he loves the
way I braid my hair and coil it around my head. He doesn't know, but I just
about have to do it because my hair is so thick. Sometimes I wish I was a
blonde, but my hair's black as ebony, and I'm not about to dye it. He says
it suits my heart-shaped face. Good thing. He likes my eyes, too; they're
dark brown. If it weren't for him, I think I'd get a buzz-cut.

Example #2: Third person limited

Peter had counted on winning this race, but he certainly couldn't ride with
a broken leg. Well, he would still win! She wrapped the strips of sheet
tightly around her breasts, giving thanks for once that she wasn't buxom
like her friend Alice. Slipping into Peter's jockey shirt, she tucked it
into her pants. She considered hiding her hair under her cap, but it looked
so much like Peter's--silvery blond and collar length--that she decided to
leave it.

If you are at all perplexed about the meaning of point of view, or
interested in considering subtleties, you can find help in all these
locations:

Carter's website: check # 7


writer.org article


wirefire.com: longer article


writersdigest (omni v.limited)
_____________________
Points to consider when critiquing: Did the descriptive scene feel natural,
unforced? If so, what specifically led you to this decision? Did the POV
character's description seemed obvious? If so, why? How could the author
have made the scene better?
------------------
These exercises were written by IWW members and administrators to provide structured practice opportunities for its members. You are welcome to use them for practice as well. Please mention that you found them at the Internet Writers Workshop (http://www.internetwritingworkshop.org/)

No comments: