The great Ernest Hemingway once waxed poetic about such a place, and, as one of the administrators of The Internet Writing Workshop, I can attest to the benefits of its virtual equivalent -- the critique lists of the Workshop.
An incident last week reminded me that the critique lists of the IWW are monitored groups where administrators work hard to provide a safe, friendly, supportive environments for writers to improve their craft.
- We don't allow personal attacks.
- We demand that people critique writing rather than indulge in personal opinions.
- We keep all list traffic on point.
- We have material to help members with formating and posting issues.
- We work hard to see that members post cleanly formatted and readily legible posts.
- We encourage good karma -- "Want critiques? Do critiques!"
- We follow up if a submission receives no critiques.
- We take action when things go wrong.