Monday, October 15, 2007

IWW Members Published and in Print

I'm a great lover of first-time triumphs, so I said the heck with the
alphabet and put one of those on top today.


Serene Taleb-Agha

My short story "Beyond the Viewfinder" was accepted by Azizah, a
Muslim woman's magazine. They don't publish online but
it will be in one of their upcoming print issues. This is the first story
I have ever sold, so I am thrilled!


Karna Converse

My essay, "Letting Go," has been published in the Autumn issue of
Notre Dame Magazine. NFiction critters may remember it from last May;
I had titled it "Windbreak," but I think the editor's title is much
more appropriate.

From their guidelines: The "CrossCurrents" section (formerly
called Perspectives), contains three to four essays per issue. Often
written in first-person, these pieces range in length from 750 to
1,500 words and deal with a wide array of issues -- some topical,
some personal, some serious, some light. Payment is upon acceptance.

I really liked this piece when I wrote it and, after many positive
comments from NFiction members, decided to take a chance and
submit it to a "big name" publication I thought was out of my reach.
The editor responded to my submission within two weeks but didn't
know when it would be published; two weeks later, she notified me
the essay would be in the Autumn issue because one of the planned
pieces didn't fit unto the page. I also notice that all essays in this
issue are about the mother/child relationship and the issue's cover
and main feature is about children.

To me, this says that timing, in addition to good writing, plays an
important role in publication.


Peg Frey

Hi All!

I just received notice that the autumn issue of Kaleidowhirl is now
live. You'll find my flash, "Swimming for Gina" listed in the contents.

Also Cezanne's Carrot, the autumn issue, went live two weeks ago. I
was out of town when it went up (I'm always late to the party). CC
has published several of my short works in the past. This one is
called "Michael in the Sky."

Thanks to everyone who read and commented. Always appreciated.


Charles Hightower

After winning the earlier electricdragoncafe contest, I was notified I
was not among the three winners of the most recent contest.
However, after reading two of my pieces, the website owners have
requested permission to publish the non-winning entry under a trial
method of funneling donations to the writers. Of course, they
received my permission. And even better, they've asked for other
pieces I've written for consideration.


Laurel Lamperd

"Waiting Women," a poem published in The Word is Out Poetry
Journal
, Issue 3 2007. The Word Is Out is a West Australian poetry
journal published twice a year.


Bob Sanchez

Here's one. I'm still in Austin (TX), and I've sold 34 copies of When Pigs
Fly
on this trip. That's 26 to a restaurant, seven to a gift shop, and
one to a library. Losing money on every sale, but I swear I'll make it
up in volume! :-)


Wayne Scheer

Thanks to Alice Folkart, whose yahoos have shared her poetic
successes at 7 Beats a Second. I sent the editor three short prose
pieces and, to my surprise, he liked all of them. He'll be publishing
them one at a time. The first one is up now--it's a a humor piece
written in Practice, "Brooklyn, 1960." You'll have to scroll about a
quarter of the way down to find it.

The site includes an eclectic mix of well-known and unknown
writers and artists' works. The editor is looking for more short
prose.

Also, Bent Pin Quarterly has accepted an old story, "Demons," for
their story within a story issue, due October 13. Bent Pen has rejected
me consistently so I'm happy to be there. "Demons" was critiqued in
Fiction.

As always, thanks for your help in suggesting ways to improve my
writing and to market it.


Joanna M. Weston

Two poems in the Gandhi Peace Festival Booklet at the Festival in
Hamilton, Ontario. I'm always really happy to be in any Peace
event. Cheers!

-------------------------

No comments: