Monday, November 19, 2007

IWW Members Published and in Print

How about that! A bumper crop of IWW members' successes, and
after all these weeks I get to post one of my own. :-)


Peggy Duffy

Congratulations to Ann Hite for putting out another fine issue of The
Painted Door
. I'm pleased and flattered that she invited me to be her
featured writer this month. I sent her four of my favorites, from flash
fiction to longer short story. "He Cut Deep" won the Mary Roberts
Rinehart award when I was in grad school and was later published by
DOJ, a now-defunct online journal. I'm pleased to have the story
reappear in Ann's e-zine since it no longer appears anywhere online.

Since we've been talking about money and writing, I'll say I've made
the most money from this short story than any other piece of fiction
I've ever written. The Rinehart award was a $1000 and DOJ later
paid me $350 for it. The money was nice, but the validation was way
more meaningful. It was a very different story for me at the time I
wrote it; I experimented with voice and it has what I call a floating
narrator. When I workshopped it in an MFA class, feedback by the
instructor and the class was pretty much unanimous that I should
choose one narrator and stick with it--the sister was suggested. But
I believed in the story and another writing teacher whose criticisms
were harsh loved the story and felt it had a certain magic to it.
Which is not to say I didn't revise heavily before submitting it to
the contest, but I stuck with the voice. It was a valuable lesson to
me in believing in your own vision and your own voice.

When it comes to publishing, I value the acceptance of my stories not
by how much money they receive, but by the quality and prestige of the
publications which accept them.

I'm in good company at The Painted Door.
Peggy


Peg Frey

Hi All!

I'm happy to report I'll be joining Julie McGuire on the pages of the
Birmingham Arts Journal. Reed has accepted my fiction entitled
"Even the Gods Can Be Wrong" for the journal's January, 2008, issue.
Thanks to Louisa Howerow, who first suggested this market.


Dawn Goldsmith

It has been months since I sent out any queries, and I was surprised
last week to receive two responses! MONTHS later. So I guess we
should never set a time limit on editor responses. One was from Bark
Magazine
; they want to buy my essay about an old dog and new tricks.
The other was from The Writer, which has no funds to purchase
anything until 2008, but is interested in a query I sent them for next
year.


Kathy Highcove

Hello group; I've just been informed that my flash fiction piece "Even
Trade," written for and critted by the Practice List, will be in
LongStoryShort on Jan. 7. This week I was asked to write a restaurant
review for a local paper. I was a little startled, but decided to try. A
week later I have had a Chinese meal to die for, a large sack full of
leftovers in my refrigerator, and the editor's praise on my answer
machine. High five time, gang! Talk about having your fortune cookie
and eating it too, heh, heh. Moral: try something different--it may be
a step forward in your writing career.

Cheers, Kathy



Ann Hite

My story "Sleepover," originally sent through the Fiction list in fall of
2002 as "Christmas Perfect," was accepted by Long Story Short for
their December Issue. It's one of my dark Katie Parsons stories.

A book review also has just been published by Feminist Review.

I'm also excited that my book review of The Almost Moon appears in
The Internet Review of Books. This site is wonderful, and I've
enjoyed reading all the reviews. Take a look. It will be well worth
your time. And of course read my review.



Kristen Howe

Hooray, everyone! Last week I Yahooed for my three poems for Long
Story Short
. Well, it turned out to be two of them instead for the November issue.
Here are the links:
http://www.alongstoryshort.net/POETRY2NOV07.html and
http://tinyurl.com/ypggeh.


Carter Jefferson

I'm delighted to report that "Real Life,"an old story of mine that I like
a lot, is reposted in the November issue of The Painted Door. My
thanks to Ann Hite, and to anybody who reads it.

I'm particularly pleased because it's the first story I ever got paid for.
B.J. Lawry, then editor and publisher of LoveWords, was so wise she
recognized my immense talent and made me very happy.



Martha S. Martin

I had a haiku published in Authspot, and my article about MS and
horseback riding is online at Healthmad. No word if I'll be paid for
these endeavors, but what the hey?


Julie McGuire

My essay "Tattoos and Butterflies," written in memory of my
grandfather, has been accepted for January's issue of the
Birmingham Arts Journal.

I'm thrilled! Thanks to all of you on Practice and Non-fiction who
helped shape this piece.


Sarah Morgan

I'll tag along behind Ann Hite and say that my book review of Mark
Doty's book Heaven's Coast appears this month in The Internet
Review of Books. You can find me in their "Second Glance" section.

The editors are very patient and great to work with. No pay yet, but
this is a wonderful undertaking by dedicated group of people who
support writing and reading. I wish them all the success, and a yahoo!


Roger Poppen

After a long dry spell, two of my stories have been accepted for
publication in Webzines. "Christmas at Aunt Betty's" will be in the
December issue of The Painted Door, and 'Peacocks and Dragons'
will be included in the Winter issue of Ducts. These were critted long
ago on Fiction, and thanks to those who helped polish them. I am
particularly pleased because these are both longer pieces, which I've
found more difficult to find homes for than flash.



Wayne Scheer

I'm finding new homes for old stories.

Sniplits has accepted "Naked Lady in 3"and its sequel "And Now for
Something Completely Different," two stories reviewed in Fiction a
while back. Sniplits even pays--$75 for one story and $50 for the
other.

I will also be joining Peg and Julie at Birmingham Arts Journal. They
accepted a revision of a very old story, "The Love Song of Langley
Moran."

Conceit Magazine will reprint a story, "A New Life," in January,
2008, and a nonfiction piece, "A Quiet Man," in May, 2008. The
editor advised me to send him something right away before he
begins his 2009 edition.

Finally, the last of three flash pieces published at 7 Beats a Second,
"Haunted by Jack Kerouac's Ghost," is up. To find it, you have to
scroll about three quarters down.

And I just discovered that my 55-word story, "Someone Important" is
up at Pen Pricks. It takes only a few minutes to read through the issue
of twenty or so 55-word stories and it's well worth the time. Some of
the 55-worders are very good.

Thanks.


Mona Vanek

My heartfelt thanks to all members of IWW's community for writers.
A couple of weeks ago, The Palouse Journal published my guest
editorial, "A True Life Save at Rockford Fair." Take a bow!!
Without your wonderful crits "my" words surely wouldn't have
sparked the many expressions of admiration and thanks floating
around this northwest rural farming area. The editorial brightened a
number of lives, including fire department volunteers, bank clerks,
town hall employees and one postmaster, delighted beyond words that
her EMT friend, featured in the editorial, received public
recognition.



Ruth Zavitz

My short story "Perfect Marriage" is up in the November issue
of The Painted Door. I am in wonderful company there. It was an
attempt to write a story completely in dialogue.


Thanks to Ann for providing another venue for us to exhibit our work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: