Monday, February 18, 2008

IWW Members Published and in Print

Good long list of yahoos this week! People in the IWW work hard, and
it pays off!


Norbert Brown

Two Yahoos for me this month:

My friend Gabriel at Feel the Word ezine has once again published a
movie review of mine.

And my FIRST EVER book review is up at The Internet Review of
Books
!


Alice Folkart

Just notified that my poem "The Impossibility of a Poem" is in the
current issue of Getting REaD.

This was a poem written out of frustration when I couldn't write! I
guess everything is grist for the mill. Thanks!


Charles Hightower

I just received word I received honorable mention in the Writers of
the Future
contest.

And "The Shift," my winning story in the quarterly Electric Dragon
Cafe
contest, is online now. First prize paid off--I won a $25 gift
certificate for a big bookstore!


Peg Frey

Hi All!

I'm happy to report that flashquake has accepted two of my pieces for
their Spring issue: A creative nonfiction piece, "True Believers" and a
flash fiction, "When It's All Said and Done." My work has appeared
in flashquake before; it's always a treat.

Both shorts were started on IWW's Practice board. So, many thanks
to readers for their input and on-going encouragement. The journal's
new issue will go live on March 1st. The journal offers a small
honorarium on publication, a follow-up CD and a substantial archive
to poke through. They also forward reading comments on your
submissions (acceptances and rejections) from the editorial/judging
staff. Submission guidelines can be found here.


Carter Jefferson

On March 22, 2007, I submitted an article by e-mail to Writers'
Journa
l, but only after asking here for advice on how to write a cover
letter, which I got and took. (Thanks once more to all who helped!)

On Sept. 10, 2007, I received a nice letter offering me $30 and a year's
subscription to the magazine for the article I submitted. The editor
said he'd publish it someday. (Note nearly six months' interval.) I
accepted.

Today, Feb. 11, 2008, I received in the mail, a copy of the Mar/Apr
2008 issue of the magazine, to which I had not subscribed. There on
the contents page was the title of my article, "What's Not a Memoir."
And on page 15, the article actually appeared! (Note five-month plus
one day interval.)

Not being a member of the appropriate list, I got a little help from
some of my IWW friends and polished the article before I subbed it.
Without their crits I'm sure I would never have received that
acceptance. So a fervent thank-you to all the guilty parties!

WJ hasn't updated its website yet, so you won't see my name in large
print there for a day or two. You may instead go to your local big-box
book store and buy the issue for a paltry sum--or not. They still don't
put their articles online.

And let me tell you--it's no everyday thing when we publish a new
issue of The Internet Review of Books, which we did last Friday.
Norbert Brown and Julie McGuire of the IWW published reviews there,
as did all our editors and other contributors from all over.


Mridu Khullar

Yahoo! Of a different sort.

This week I'm moving to Accra, Ghana, from where I'll be reporting
on issues related to child trafficking and women's rights. Similar to the
work I've been doing in India.

The yahoo in this, I guess, apart from the fact that I'm writing about
issues that speak to me, is that I already have interest from several
editors who're willing to publish my work from Africa.

I'm pretty excited about the move and the work I'll be doing there. I'll
be missing from the list for about ten days while I set myself up, but
will be back to Internet-land really soon. Cheers!


Ellen Lindquist

I won 2nd place (out of about 200 entries) in the Mumbai, India,
Caferati 300-word "Tall Story" Flash Fiction contest.

My name was announced on Feb. 11, Contests Night, in the David
Sassoon Library Garden at the Kala Ghoda Association Arts Festival.
This is a nine-day festival of gallery and pavement shows, exhibitions,
literary events, film screenings, music concerts, dance performances,
theatre shows, workshops, heritage walks, a food fiesta, and a buzzing
street festival that brings in audiences and participants from all over
the city.

The prize was 2000 rupees (US $50.50).


Julie McGuire

My first published book review is now live at The Internet Review of
Books
. If you check out their site, you'll see some very familiar names
on staff: Carter Jefferson, Ruth Douillette, Bob Sanchez, and Gary
Presley.

My review is here.

And I just learned that Long Story Short will be publishing my
Practice piece, "Blind Date Number Eight," in their March edition!
"Blind Date Number Eight" will eventually be a chapter (expanded
from its current form) in my novel in progress, Lucky Numbers.
Thanks to Wayne for encouraging me to submit this Practice piece as
is to LSS, and the positive feedback I received from other Practice-w
participants.

And let me put in a plug for the Practice group. It really is amazing
how many of us find success with pieces that start out as Practice
exercises.

YIPPEE!


Ally Peltier

Hey, everyone! My article "Platforms: Your Background Matters"
appears in the April 2008 issue of Writer's Digest, on stands now. I'm
so excited!


Wayne Scheer

This is the down period where all I get are rejection notices, but I
thought I might change my luck by announcing a couple of my flash
stories that have recently become available on the Internet.

"The Root of All Evil," a story begun in Practice, is up at Shine
Journal
. I even included a plug for the IWW in my bio notes.

Also, a 55-word Valentine to my wife is up at Pen Pricks. It's in a
special Valentine PDF format, so scroll down to p. 59.

And that worked!

flashquake took my recent Practice piece, "Blind Date, Circa 1960,"
for their Spring issue. I'll look good being in Peg Frey's company.

Like Peg, I've been in there before. They're one of the few paying
zines for flash stories. Check them out.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this one.


Joanna M. Weston

I've a poem, "Stopping time,"' up at 7beats. Scroll down to find it
below the photo of a marsh--and many thanks indeed to Alice
Folkart for introducing me to the editor!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carter Jefferson,

Thank YOU for the article. By the way, it was rather clean, too, which just goes to show how valuable the Internet Writing Workshop and the feedback its members give, can be to the writer.

Many writers avoid criticism, yet it is through constructive criticism that most writers become great writers.

Oh, the check is in the mail.

Leon Ogroske, editor of WRITERS’ Journal magazine