Sunday, July 8, 2007

IWW Members in Print and Published

Here's the latest list of successes for distinguished members of the IWW!
I said I'd start with "S" this week, so Wayne finally gets to the top!


Wayne Scheer

I just got back from a week in the North Georgia Mountains and received  word
that my story published in the May issue of Conceit Magazine won a $100
readers' prize. Information about the magazine and the announcement of my
prize can be found here.

Also, a humor piece, "Zen and the Art of House Painting," is up at The Rose
and Thorn
. This one earned me a clean $5.

I need to take more vacations.

Thanks to all for your continued help and encouragement.

Peggy Duffy

I'm pleased to Yahoo! that two of my longer short stories (in the 5,000 words
each range), the ones that take more years than I care to admit to find homes,
have been accepted for Trillium Literary Journal. The stories are "Head
Over Heels" and "Last of the Richardsons." Peg, Wayne, and Susan read and
commented on the second story, and I thank them for their input in getting
that story into its final publishable form.

I can't recall where I came across the Call for Submissions; it may have been
Poets & Writers. Trillium Literary Journal is a new publication; its inaugural
issue will appear in July, 2007. Since they accepted both of my stories, I was
given the option of having them both appear in the same issue, or in two
separate issues. I chose the latter option. Impatient though I am to see these
pieces in print, I figure by issue 2, due out in October, 2007, the publication
will have more of a readership.

I've had good luck placing pieces in new publications, Smokelong
Quarterly (where some other IWW people here have had stories appear)
being another example. When I evaluate a pub that's been around for a while,
I look at the quality of the work as well as the writers' bios to see where else
their stories have appeared in deciding whether it's a good venue for my work.
In a new pub, I look at the bios of the editorial board. Trillium Literary
Journal
has, in my opinion, an impressive one.

On other Yahoo and news notes, Cup of Comfort for Writers comes out in
August 2007 and will include an essay of mine. This is my third appearance in
a Cup of Comfort anthology, and Colleen is an excellent editor to work with.

Months ago I wrote that I'd been contacted by a writer in Italy looking for
permission to translate another of my stories, "First Thing in the Morning,"
into Italian. She recently emailed me that the translation is complete and she
will send it to me. I believe she is submitting to a translation contest.

I also have an essay, "Connecting," coming out in October, 2007, in Voices of
Breast
Cancer, published by LaChance Publishing, affiliated with The
Healing Project. I was actually paid for this one.


Alice Folkart

If you'd like to take a look, five poems of mine and a lot of wonderful
photography and poetry are in this week's edition of Here and Now.

These were invited.


Dawn Goldsmith

I sold a blog post to FundsforWriters: "Freaky Friday."

My article "Paper Piecing Magic in Munich" is in the August 2007 issue
of Quilters World.

Christian Science Monitor
accepted "One Stitch at a Time," an essay. No
date set for publication, yet.


Nan Hawthorne

My book, Loving the Goddess Within: Sex Magick for Women, is now
available as an ebook!!!

If you are an Amazon.com Associate, the book is supposed to be available as an
ebook there too, as well as on Barnes and Noble's site.

I will be grateful if you can help get the word out! If you need the cover art for
a web site, just let me know.


Laurel Lamperd

I've had a poem, "Gifted Teachers," published in The Recessive Type IV, a
print journal of rejected submissions to other publications.


Roger Poppen

My short story 'Nits' has been accepted for the Fall issue of Skyline
Magazine. Thanks to all in Fiction who critted this.

The downside is that it will be in the print rather than online edition, so
all my 'friends and family,' whom I am encouraged to inform, will have to
pony up 15 bucks to see this cultural contribution :-(.


Bob Liter

My latest novel, Fork in the Road, is up at fictionwise.com

Welcome to Fork, a community with a dirt street and a snow plow, where, for a
change, there are things to talk about in the nowhere prairie town. The
unsolved murder of exotic stranger Francesca Evans is the main topic until
Daniel Owens plows six feet of snow onto the road commissioners' driveway.
And then a guy digs up the outhouse on Ezra Brigg's farm and won't say why.
And Hester DeWitt, the town's self-appointed conscience, gets drunk on
elderberry wine while trying to close the only tavern in town. There are other
distractions, like Daniel's courting of sexy Rosemary Allen until he realizes
she is the whore who taught him about sex. And John Turner, the stranger
who has some kind of power over Rosemary, announces plans to develop
the area. After a deputy sheriff is charged with the murder, Turner builds
a golf course, and Daniel stops trying to resist the lure of Rosemary's body.

For the curious, the first chapter of the novel is up at my blog spot. All comments are welcome.


Dennis Rizzo

Just a note to thank all the critters who helped me refine my style. Though
it's not fiction, I've been published through History Press, Charleston, for a
complete updated history of my home town, Mount Holly, NJ.

Hey--it's a book and it pays. I got to write a narrative history instead of
the plodding, dismal, Genesis-like tomes we usually get.

Thanks for the help.

No comments: